Major Snap Load

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Jim, Tom, Brian and Academy,

I have a student, 5 hdcp and very strong, who snap loads at the end of his backswing and it causes his right wrist to cock and elbow to fly.

His tendency is to come over the top. Numerous attempts to fix this have failed...... "Doesn't feel right and I don't like it."

We started then with just leaving it alone and worked with a right shoulder down plane start with a snap release. This seems to flatten the shaft and cure the OTT. He seems to like it...for now.

I'd like your advice on this and if there is a better way to handle it.

Any reason I am not getting a response to my question? If so let me know....pm or otherwise...I can take it!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
To Jim, Tom, Brian and Academy,

I have a student, 5 hdcp and very strong, who snap loads at the end of his backswing and it causes his right wrist to cock and elbow to fly.

His tendency is to come over the top. Numerous attempts to fix this have failed...... "Doesn't feel right and I don't like it."

We started then with just leaving it alone and worked with a right shoulder down plane start with a snap release. This seems to flatten the shaft and cure the OTT. He seems to like it...for now.

I'd like your advice on this and if there is a better way to handle it.

When he has this OTT problem, what kind of position is he in at the end of his backswing? At/below/above the turned shoulder plane?

Thank you, Jim. He is above the turned shoulder plane, right wrist cocked, left wrist...double cocked? Right elbow pointing behind his right hip.

Manages to, through brute strength, hit the ball long....and straight once in awhile.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thank you, Jim. He is above the turned shoulder plane, right wrist cocked, left wrist...double cocked? Right elbow pointing behind his right hip.

Manages to, through brute strength, hit the ball long....and straight once in awhile.

Make sure he has enough hip slide and axis tilt to avoid the club from coming too above plane. If he is very resistant to change, the main thing to keep him from going OTT (if he doesn't have clubface issues) is to maintain axis tilt through the shot.

A lot of golfers (me included) will tend to lose that tilt through the ball and the club comes above plane and you hit it left.

Make sure he has enough hip slide and axis tilt to avoid the club from coming too above plane. If he is very resistant to change, the main thing to keep him from going OTT (if he doesn't have clubface issues) is to maintain axis tilt through the shot.

A lot of golfers (me included) will tend to lose that tilt through the ball and the club comes above plane and you hit it left.

Jim, I know you have been and will continue to be very busy and I thank you so much. This confirms my thoughts and eliminated my doubts.....very cool.

spike

Status
Not open for further replies.