Managing nerves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played a handicapped match play match last evening at my home club against the club pro. Long story short, I was was 3 up with 5 holes to play and ended up losing the match on the second extra hole. I played well early, but had a tough break on one hole to end up 2 up with 4 to play. From that point on a made a few "nervy" swings and putts that resulted in me not closing out the match. In the end it was a disappointing result for a well played round (Shot 1 over par).

I am interested in hearing from experienced tournament players about some of the strategies for managing your nerves during important rounds. Also, what are some good resources for learning startegies in this area?

Thanks
Jay

Breathing. Breathe in through the nose to a count of 4 and lhen let it out through your mouth to a count of four. Do this several times. Also, you can try to intentionally yawn. You'd be surprised how reflexive this is.

Hope this helps.

When all else fails, I've found Budweiser to be of help (g). Swallow through!

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Put yourself in these situations as much as possible. Learn from the mistakes. Get used to and understand how your body changes and reacts under heat. Get an unorthodox "shot" you can rely on to bring a "nervy" round to the house. Dont think about anything other than the next shot. Play for yourself and not others or ego driven reasons. Learn to relish the pressure.

Just had some nerves tonight that I haven't felt in a long time. Hooked up with a couple other really good golfers that were scratch. I knew of them but never really played with them. I was definitely jittery at first. Then eventually I just got settled in and never even thought about it. I TOTALLY agree with Kevin. I'm sure the more and more I played with guys like that I would get used to it. In the long run you will be tons better under pressure.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
never played in tournaments but have played plenty of money matches that had enough on them to mean something. you just need a go to shot to calm you down, whenever i start to feel nervy i just play a nice big fade and calm myself down.

Erik_K

New
Kevin is 100% correct and it applies to all things of a competitive nature.

If you don't regularly put yourself in these situations, you'll never feel relaxed or calm when it counts the most.

Of course, having a nice go-to shot, or routine is very nice and that will help calm the nerves.

While I agree with the relaxation breathing idea, I think that the only way is what has already been said about putting yourself in the pressure situations.
In my experience over a lot of years, the dollar nassau's really didn't create any pressure. Tournaments like the annual club championship match play events, and other events were where the train wrecks occurred. I was certainly a sometime participant in the wrecks. Conquering your mind was what made it so much fun.

I also think that it is very difficult to overcome your mind, if you aren't playing well. I have been on a little bit of a roll lately during the last 3 tournaments of our Seniors Golf League. This roll has placed me in the lead groups lately. I have shot 76, 77, and yesterday 79. 4 tournaments back I had an 87 due to snipe hooking the Driver.

Yesterday I was playing with a -1, a +1, and a +3 with me being a 9. Certain opportunity for nerves. I coasted through the front nine hit 8 greens and shot 37. Now comes the back and I start thinking about 35, 36 and chance to compete on low gross. I started getting conservative. Hit 7 greens, but left some very long putts. The putting stroke took a hike and that was the difference. Lag putts 4 feet short! It wasn't obvious tension. It was sort of a lurking tension. My playing partners shot 70, 72, and 75. They had no pressure because of their excellent short games and putting.

So on Monday and Thursday I get to experience the pressure again. Going to work on the putter this weekend and hope that some other aspect of my game doesn't decide to go missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.