manzella academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
a couple of ?'s for the best in the biz:

1) how does nha relate to the underplane flipper?
i know brian's m.o. is to take away the need to flip, but if you give a hooker a more closed clubface...:eek:

2) how do different loading actions (no torque, pos., neg.) as brian explained in sdp relate to clubface rotation? by this i mean, is there a swivel or not involved with all of these loading actions? could they all have a start up swivel or no? should you be able to hit shots with each loading action with and without swivel? etc., etc., etc...

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
As far as number 1, are you saying NHA is telling the golfer to close his clubface? I'm not sure I understand. The whole video is about keeping the clubface open to the path. If you're referring to the first move back, dont worry, the left arm wedge rolling to the top opens the face enough

My opinion of number 2 is you can probably name several players who load the club with a positive torque and no torque. Depending on their grip, the shot type they prefer, body type, etc the clubface would be different for each.

Examples: positive torque (early set) weak grip less open face : Olazabal, Lehman
positive torque (early set) strong grip more open face : Couples
No torque LCT neutral grip more open face : Monty
no torque LCT neutralish grip less open face : Payne Stewart

Last edited:
kevin,

thanks for the reply. i guess what i meant in the first question was:
if you have an a golfer that comes underplane and has a little flip (i.e., someone that used to slice and is now a poorly cured hooker) would you first address the open face (reason for the flip), or the in to out path? i think brian says clubface first for slicer and path first for hooks, but i also know that he likes to take away the need to flip by fixing the face...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
;)

a couple of ?'s for the best in the biz:

1) how does nha relate to the underplane flipper?
i know brian's m.o. is to take away the need to flip, but if you give a hooker a more closed clubface...

Like Kevin said, the clubface in NHA2 is ALWAYS open.

Basically, an underplane flipper would learn to not flip as much going toward NHA2 becuase of the yellow brick road sequence.

And the reward has been taken away.

2) how do different loading actions (no torque, pos., neg.) as brian explained in sdp relate to clubface rotation? by this i mean, is there a swivel or not involved with all of these loading actions? could they all have a start up swivel or no? should you be able to hit shots with each loading action with and without swivel?

This series of question is a bit much.

The answers would take quite a while.

Lets just say this:

The folks who teach "fanning" and "start-up swivel" to more than a small percentage of golfers are SWIMMING.

This is the REAL WORLD ANSWER:

If your clubface is too closed through the ball, and too closed at the top, and you don't over roll through the ball, and you don't have a closed clubface at the top with a decent grip...

Then maybe you work on "swiveling" in the takeaway, although iI would NEVER call it that.

Status
Not open for further replies.