Manzella Set-up, Aiming, and Practice Swings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian and/or Academy Instructors,

Thanks for all the information on this site and the videos. This is my first post, but I've been monitoring the forum for over a year.

I just returned from 15 months in Iraq and within two weeks of being back I broke 80 for the first in my life using the the Soft Draw pattern. Thank you.

Below are some questions I have. I have searched the site and have found varying information. I would just like some clairity.

1. Should I aim the clubface first and then step into my soft draw stance (feet aimed 1 yard right of the target), or simply align my feet a la soft draw and put the club behind the ball and align it to the target from there?

2. Should I take practice swings for full swing or short pitches? Or do a little back and forth drill to get the feel of the club working like a club, shaft like a shaft, face etc...? I know too many practice swings are excessive and creates slow play, but are one or two beneficial?

3. I'm trying to work towards orthodox with my setup, but I naturally stand very upright and close to the ball at address. I really struggle to get comfortable before a swing when I set-up "grip to belt buckle and belt buckle at ball" or the way you describe in the soft draw video to get the correct distance to the ball. When I do set up in the orthodox distance to the ball I then to fade or slice my driver and hook my short irons. When i stand natural and close, the ball goes pretty straight. Any other cues to get in the correct setup position (distance from the ball and hands from body)?

Thanks again,

Justin

Can't help you too much with your swing questions, but I would like to thank you for your service to our country.

Try posting some video; you'll get the help you need.
Thanks again.

I want to second the thanks to you for what you do for us.

Personally, I'd aim the clubface first, that's where the ball is going. Then I'd set my feet accordingly.

I'm a 25 handicap with rifles, but I'd aim my rifle first, then if I had the time, think about my feet.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
After what you've been thru, set up however you want. God bless you.

I'd set up clubface first, but that's just prefernce. For the SD pattern you're trying to make sure you get your feet aimed a little right so however you can get the job done is fine. Remember that the face only matters how its in your hand at address.

Secondly, I think a few preactice swings with a purpose do more good than bad. I'd use them.

Thanks

Thanks for sacrificing your time and yourself for our country.

Congratulations on making it home alive AND on breaking 80!

I can't answer your question 'cause I'm a hooker :) Trying to hit a draw for me causes low gopher scaring hooks.

Did you get to swing clubs while in Iraq?

Thanks Kevin for the aiming advice and all of you for the kind words.

Any comments on my question # 3...natural upright close to the ball setup vs working towards orthodox

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
3. I'm trying to work towards orthodox with my setup, but I naturally stand very upright and close to the ball at address. I really struggle to get comfortable before a swing when I set-up "grip to belt buckle and belt buckle at ball" or the way you describe in the soft draw video to get the correct distance to the ball. When I do set up in the orthodox distance to the ball I then to fade or slice my driver and hook my short irons. When i stand natural and close, the ball goes pretty straight. Any other cues to get in the correct setup position (distance from the ball and hands from body)?

Thanks again,

Justin

First thanks for your service and courage. 2nd generally people who we "bend over" to "look like a golfer" don't like it because it doesn't allow them to flip anymore. My guess is that you have a flip and when you bend over like that you don't literally have the room to flip anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.