Maximum Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Brian and others,

What are your ideas/thoughts/images/techniques for creating the absolute maximum amount of spin for various lies/shots?

Are there different techniques depending on the lie?

How would you practise it?

I am aware that trajectory is the preferred method for stopping it, but from a 'fun' factor as well as an option, I am interested in the various means. You know, the shot that backs up with a small pitch, one bounces(max) with a bunker shot,etc.

A video answer would be nice too!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
hard to type, easier to show.

How about ask me...

"Jim, how do you hit that low spinner than bounces once/twice and then GRRRRRRRAAAAABBBSSS?"

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by Homerson

Brian and others,

You know, the shot that one bounces(max) with a bunker shot,etc.
I find if you take only a small slither of sand by hitting the sand just behind the ball rather than 2" or 3" behind as recommended the shot will come out with more spin. also if you have a strike a match sharp delivery when you play the shot you will generate even more spin.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Spin is easy, spin the right ball speed and launch angle is tough.

For instance, a 30 yard pitch. If you take a 60° wedge and you hit down on it very steeply—hands forward—you get lots of spin, but with a lot of ball speed and a very low lauch angle.

So, the trick to the tour pitch, and other shots where you want BITE, is to find a way to 'do it all.'

redan

New
I have a Phil Rodgers video from 20 years ago, and he spends an hour getting 2 pros and a pretty good amateur to NOT spin the ball. Of course in those days you could only get backspin with a balata ball from a fairway lie. What he demonstrates is a specialized version of what Ben Doyle and Yoda do from da bunker/ controlling spin by controlling bounce by controlling what part of the bottom of the wedge hits how far behind the ball, In those days of 2 wedges the pros would have the SW ground so there were 3 possible bounces. Rodgers does this without opening the clubface very much. Yoda teaches opening the club face as much as possible. Rodgers talks about a "hook swing" and Im not skilfull enough in TGM- or PGA- speak to describe what he means, but he is amazing good with that flop shot of his, and is good at getting folks who already have some skill to pick it up. I've been practicing and have gotten pretty good with Rodgers' and Yoda's method(s). No spin! in the bunker or out...

No spin is a bit of a misnomer. What I am looking for is the right amount of spin. I want my pitch shots to BITE. I also would like to be able to throw those little chips that check real hard before they release. I have on occasion hit that little chip that checks up real hard, but it is usually when I need one to run.(lol) Any advice on how to hit the pitch and Chip with "BITE"?

Ever since I watched "flipper" I can't make the ball check at all. I used to be able to back a ball up nicely, but not now. I read that it has to do with the amount of compression I now have due to not flipping through the shot, but I could really use that "tour Pitch" that has been mentioned on this site a few times!

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
One of the stories that inspired this post was hearing how Hogan used to practise from behind greens in order to 'stop' the ball.

So Brian, how about that Tour Pitch and an explanation on how to stop the ball anywhere,anytime!

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.