Mickelson's swing change for 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
He plans to take the club more straight back from the ball, while not straightening the trail knee. Among other things this gives the condition that "my clubhead meets the ball in a more head-on fashion as it moves straight down the target line."

Yes, machiners, none of that in-to-out Impact of an on-plane clubhead for Phil! In an effort to bond more closely with his fans, he plans to swing like them. [xx(]

bray

New
MizunoJoe,

Where did you get this information on Mickelson's swing changes from???

Sorting Through the Instructor's Textbook.

B-Ray

Ian - you're correct, GD published that link under tips for 2006! Topic subject should have read "Four yr old bad advice for 2006".

bray

New
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

He plans to take the club more straight back from the ball, while not straightening the trail knee. Among other things this gives the condition that "my clubhead meets the ball in a more head-on fashion as it moves straight down the target line."

Yes, machiners, none of that in-to-out Impact of an on-plane clubhead for Phil! In an effort to bond more closely with his fans, he plans to swing like them. [xx(]
That article was a cover story for Golf Digest in April 2002, and yes on the cover Phil is using left knee anchor(lefty).

However, as of April 2005. Phil was using standard leg action, with an "in to out impact." See the Golf Digest Sequence from April 2005. He's changed leg action over the last three years, but then again so has Tiger.

So it looks like the Golf Digest tip for 2006 Right Knee Anchor. That'll help half of us and destroy the others. It's a shame too becasue they have so many great pics to reference.

The Truth is in the Picture's.

Sorting Throught the Duffer's Bible.

B-Ray

bray

New
Tong,

I knew somebody would catch that part of my post. I don't have my reference with me today, so I'll post a reference tomorrow. However, I believe this year I have seen pictures of Tiger using Standard Leg Action especially with the driver. In the past I always saw right knee anchor.

I'll find the pics and post tomorrow.

Sorting Through the Duffer's Bible.

B-Ray

It would be fantastic if you can direct me to a photo/video of Tiger using Standard Knee Action (10-16-A).
Thanks!

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Tigers' swing changes confuse me because of a lot of what Haney teaches Tiger doesnt do. I suppose its like all name instructors their tour pros dont swing like they claim to teach otherwise they wouldnt be on tour eg delagging - Leadbetter, arm swing - Haney. What are your thoughts?

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by FOUR BARRELS AUSTRALIAN

Tigers' swing changes confuse me because of a lot of what Haney teaches Tiger doesnt do. I suppose its like all name instructors their tour pros dont swing like they claim to teach otherwise they wouldnt be on tour eg delagging - Leadbetter, arm swing - Haney. What are your thoughts?

Maybe Eldrick is ADD :D?

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by FOUR BARRELS AUSTRALIAN

I think Tiger was soooo much better as a hitter in 2000 than he is as a swinger now. He just can not maintain the Rhythm of the swinger down because his right arm wants to fire - which would be OK if his grip and right forearm position at address weren't off, he'd be back to the 4 barrel of 2000.

I personally prefer his swing now, that is the 2005 swing. I partly agree with you EdZ, but don't you think it's more a problem of mastering the stroke he's got now, rather than downgrading?

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by tongzilla

I personally prefer his swing now, that is the 2005 swing. I partly agree with you EdZ, but don't you think it's more a problem of mastering the stroke he's got now, rather than downgrading?

I wouldn't consider it downgrading. Just a choice really. As he gets older, the new motion will hold up better, but only if he can get the Rhythm down and 'give up control' to CF.

OR

He can adjust his grip/flying wedges a touch and not have to 'do' so much, while still going at impact with all he's got.

OR

He can use Full Roll, with what he is doing now

OR

He can ONLY play a fade with the driver, using his current move and grip

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

He can adjust his grip/flying wedges a touch and not have to 'do' so much, while still going at impact with all he's got.

How would he do that? Thanks.

EdZ

New
If he takes the grip he has now to impact fix, the face would be open, assuming a proper right forearm wedge at impact. Even so, he would have to have an arched wrist (not a bad thing), which also keeps the face more open.

The solution - make sure his impact fix is correct - take the grip at fix. This would put his left hand in a slightly stronger position, more like he had it in 2000. If he wants to keep the 'anti left' move he has now, he should just play a fade all the time so he doesn't have to 'time' anything (or risk the shot going wide right).

Ironic that when he hits those wide right shots now, he is actually in a better impact position IMO, just with a clubface problem easily fixed at impact fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.