Mid Body Hands & Lag Takeaway-My Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i first started playing i always set up with mid body hands but after a lesson a pro changed my set up to impact hands and have played that way ever since.

The last 2 rounds i decided to return to mid body and tried the lagging takeaway. Whilst I was inconistent i did hit some good shots in particular one driver and one 3 wood which were better and longer than anything i have hit in the last 2 years. Mainly though i found the following

1. Increase in swing speed
2. More on plane. With impact hands i can takeaway too much on the inside
3. Easier to obtain flat left wrist at top of backswing

I know this method wont work for everybody but suggest you give it a try. I am certainly going to stick with it. Just need to also throw the drunk off my back and stop the odd flip and then some good golf should be on the way for me!

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Mid-Body hands...

It is EASIER. Period.

For all the reasons you said, Eric, and many more.

The lagging clubhead takeaway isn't for everyone, but for the right swings, it has a dramatic effect.

Remember...every fly fisherman uses it! ;)

I should have mentioned that it seems to make the swing flow and reduces tension. Think thats the reason for swing speed increase

LCT

It makes my swing more fluid. I used to have a slight pause at the top of my swing, now I don't. Also some of the longer shots I've ever hit were partly due to this. Just 10 minutes ago I was smok'n my 3W out in my garage, felt like 260 yds or so. I've also hit a handfull of 300 yd drives which all came from lagging the clubhead. Not that these distances are amazing but I'm a fairly little "guy". 5'9 and a buck 50. Due to a bad shoulder and a broken hand I haven't lifted for years so I'm just skin and bones. Going to start working out again and work on flexibility. Can't wait to see how far the ball goes then.

Follow-up question for Brian

Are there any circumstances where you specifically don't recommend lagging clubhead takeaway?

KnighT

New
Is 'mid body hands' only for address, or do you actually keep them during the swing (top, release, impact, finish) ?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Is 'mid body hands' only for address, or do you actually keep them during the swing (top, release, impact, finish) ?

mid-body hands is a position at address, if you tend to "keep them" that way you will essentially be using a lagging clubhead type takeaway. At some point in the backswing you will need to change those address hands of "bent left / flat right" to impact hands of "flat left / bent right."

Have you seen the free video that brian did on the subject not too long ago? If not do a search and watch. Should clear up anything else.

Played today and didnt get on so well. Going to practise this week. Also need to stop the upper body lunge and stay behind it but hey thats another thread!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Yep, they cast at the target or their aiming point. Completely different in golf, where golfers "cast" the club away from the target. A more precise phrase for this action is "clubhead throwaway". Fly fishermen don't do that. They load the rod and unload the rod at their aiming point.

Yep, they cast at the target or their aiming point. Completely different in golf, where golfers "cast" the club away from the target. A more precise phrase for this action is "clubhead throwaway". Fly fishermen don't do that. They load the rod and unload the rod at their aiming point.

So then if it's so different from golf, why should it be considered an appropriate analogy?

Just a quick update after a month of playing. I am now getting some consistency and I have to say the results are superb. I am much longer than i used to be and ballflight is great. I have had to suffer some ridicule especially from my uncle who is a Dalton fan! (says it all really) but its only a case of them not understanding what i am doing.

Thanks Brian!!

I have tried lagging takeaway and hit some absolute bombs with that style. Probably my longest 3 wood ever, went 3 wood 5 iron on a 520 yd par five using lagging clubhead takeaway. However, I have also hit some of the worst shanks of my life using this style as well, especially with the shorter clubs I had a really bad habit of lagging the hosel and not the sweetspot. Couldn't really get rid of that habit so I was never able to stick with this style, however, it did stop the inside takeaway.

I have tried lagging takeaway and hit some absolute bombs with that style. Probably my longest 3 wood ever, went 3 wood 5 iron on a 520 yd par five using lagging clubhead takeaway. However, I have also hit some of the worst shanks of my life using this style as well, especially with the shorter clubs I had a really bad habit of lagging the hosel and not the sweetspot. Couldn't really get rid of that habit so I was never able to stick with this style, however, it did stop the inside takeaway.

In my experience, lagging it too much on the short irons can keep the clubface open and make it hard to get to a flw. This in turn makes it difficult to lag the sweetspot instead of the hosel. This is what happens to me if I do it at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.