Mid Body Hands (with Brian Manzella Video Answer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I address the ball with mid body hands the clubface is square to the target line. I then do a forward press which opens the clubface slightly. When moving into takeaway the clubface returns to square.

I have the left wrist on top of the shaft and paralell to the "leading edge" of the clubface. The shaft is centered to the middle of my hips which has the ball postion left of that center. There is also axis tilt at address, how much depends on how wide my stance, how long the club and what kind of shot I wish to hit.

I think the biggest problem with "square clubface" came with the introduction of the offset. I also think that the idea of pulling the club created a lot of misconceptions to how it actually should be done, consequently the popularity of the offset.

Alot of people don't have the right lie angle, either. If one were to set up with a too upright lie angle the tendency would be to hook the ball. Maybe the only answer they can come up with is raise the hands and lean the shaft forward. They'll do that awhile and top and chunck and rock block and slide and hide or just learn to flip until they figure out it is time for a lesson. When the pro shows them a square clubface they think he's nuts!!!

So, the offset has the clubface square with the shaft forward of the leading edge....this is great and why we hear those guys in the clubhouse bragging about their 160yd wedge on that par 3.

I don't know maybe I AM NUTS!!!! And just don't get it.

Spike......I think I have missed your point.....

Once again- TaiwanESE.......hooch.......is good....?

;)

Are you talking about why more people don't use MBH!!?!?

Last edited:
BTW this reminds me of something........and u may be on it I think (stradding it if you will).........

Brian maybe could TESTIfy because he has experience.......but these jacked up lofts and upright lies I think are band-aids more than anything....and also I think hinder REAL progress. (with regards to technique)

Cause if you think about it.......these upright, jacked up loft irons (and closed faced drivers at that) reward people much more for putting a crappy swing on it. (too open clubface/flipping) You can get away with much more.

But give someone a 5 iron that's flatter and with more loft than the typical ones today.....and have em put the same hack swing on it.....they'll prolly go "Well this is no good I'm hitting it further to the right and a few clubs shorter...."

But then of course if they learn how to NOT have a savagely wide open clubface.....and then/hence take some loft OFF it instead of flipping it......and.........uh-ohhhhhhh...........

Like I said maybe Brian could confirm but to me it makes sense. There'd be "more room" (i.e. more anti-left tends to help better players) and more incentive to deloft an older-style iron. (loft/lie-wise) The manufacturers don't care tho........they want to sell clubs of course. (and people is misinformed)

I mean....what if you went a step further and gave em OPEN irons and woods..........talk about a game improvement set....

....no?

Last edited:
Yeah man, the true game improvement set.........we'd go broke!

Birdie, the purpose of the post was to honor the wishes of Jim, who, rightly stated that we were getting away from the purpose of the original thread.

My post was in response to PuttMad's question or observation of the clubface and how it looked if set at mid body. Just gave 'em my discription of it.:rolleyes:

Haven't heard back as of yet.

This is amazing.........in his earnest deliberations of what was "emphatically stated" good 'ol PuttMad has ignored this new thread. Has he genuinely investigated the words and realized a conclusion that makes me right? Or has he not investigated the words and just ignored the concept altogether? Has Jim done the same thing? Or is he too busy to say thank you, spike, for redirecting this thread, as per his request, so as not to confuse different issues?

What's up with you guys? You know me, a bit, and you know I'm not a kool aid guy.......so what's up. Feel free to respond one way or another, I could G-A-S which ever way. If ya'll think you are the end all to all then go for it. I want to hear it! It may help me or.... it may help you!

Bring it on!

Spike,
I am in the middle of moving house this weekend... calm down, calm down...:)

Thank you, buddy.

I, too, am moving to another house.....can't believe the coincidence!!! they say it is the #1 stress creator or is it # 2???

No worries Mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.