Middle-of-the-Matrix / Orthodox Swings and Aiming

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a question mainly for the Manzella Academy guys, but anyone feel free to chime in.

During my lesson with Brian in September of last year, Brian told me he was moving me straight to the middle of the matrix and that all the changes we worked on were making me much more orthodox. I try to hit a dead straight ball and my misses are either thin and straight, or a draw (I'm working on it).

Currently, I believe I am setting up square to my HSP (I'm not 100% sure I have the terminology correct). Say I want to aim right dead at a flag: I'll pick an intermediate target between the ball and the flag, and set up square (feet, hips, shoulders) to that line.

Normally I don't take much of a divot with anything more than an 8 iron.

Is this aiming down the HSP? To what line should I square up to? Should I set up open with the shorter irons and wedges and closed with the driver like Brian has mentioned sometimes? I would really like to set up square and "DO IT RIGHT." What must I do differently in order to DO IT RIGHT?

westy

New
up n down

youre onto it.
the more you hit down, the more you need to swing left.
If your AoA is 0 aim straight.
If you hit down at 5 degrees, aim left 2.5.

Last edited:
youre onto it.
the more you hit down, the more you need to swing left.
If your AoA is 0 aim straight.
If you hit down at 5 degrees, aim left 2.5.

You know, if you knew how the initial forces work at the start of the backstroke, you would know how that the plane will be where it needs to be for every club without the number crunching.

So you're saying if you get the forces in the backswing correct the downswing will automatically be where it needs to be?

The initial forces you place on the club the moment you start the backstroke moves the club relative to a plane line while the force direction is always the same (target line). The difference is the initial placing of the club at address and it's forward lean (lie angle). The more the club is forward of vertical, the more the plane line automatically shifts left.

Status
Not open for further replies.