Milestone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After struggling with this silly game since '00, and not getting to play as much as I would like, I've finally broken 100, and I did it on a course that eats my lunch (and golf balls) on a regular basis. I shot a 97, which included a back 9 46 (the back nine is the more difficult, and I never shot better than 53). The coolest thing was that I parred both the 9th and 18th, and I had a bogey up-and-down that you had to see to believe. The most encouraging thing is that I left a lot of shots out there.

I know that this is a score that would make a lot of people gag, but I'm feeling good about it, and the trend of my scores. My scores this season have been 108, 109, 116, 106, 103, and 97.

My goal for this season was to break 95, and I know that is easily within reach (especially since I got a 10 on the par 5 second, lol).

Congrats Bigwill. I can remember when I broke a 100 like it was yesterday. Then 90, then 80. Now I'm chasing that elusive par round.

Keep up the chase...

Thanks, fellas. I feel like I'm over a big hump. I actually feel like breaking 90 will be a lot easier. Don't ask me why. But I guarantee it won't take me another 7-8 years to do that. I think the thing that has really helped me has been committing to finding what works for me and staying with it. I'd always been guity of trying every little thing I see and read. I'm also a distance junkie. I'm done with all that. When I made that decision, my scores began to drop.

Congrats on getting over that hump. It's a great feeling.

Don't be too anxious though about your next goals. I remember the first time I broke 90, I immediately thought, 'Wow, now to break 85...' I didn't even break 90 again for about 3 weeks.

Again, congrats.:)

WD mate, I concur with ColinMB, I broke 100 recently and have only been close a couple of times since, but it's a great feeling isn't it?

Maybe a couple of 'live" internet lessons with BM will help ? *hmmmm...*

WD mate, I concur with ColinMB, I broke 100 recently and have only been close a couple of times since, but it's a great feeling isn't it?

Maybe a couple of 'live" internet lessons with BM will help ? *hmmmm...*

It was an incredible feeling, especially considering that it could have been even lower. Lessons with Brian are down the road a ways. I'm too broke for that, LOL. For now, I'm gonna keep piecing it together.

Thanks, fellas. I feel like I'm over a big hump. I actually feel like breaking 90 will be a lot easier. Don't ask me why. But I guarantee it won't take me another 7-8 years to do that. I think the thing that has really helped me has been committing to finding what works for me and staying with it. I'd always been guity of trying every little thing I see and read. I'm also a distance junkie. I'm done with all that. When I made that decision, my scores began to drop.

It was a lot quicker for me to break 90, hopefully for you too. I think what helped me the most was that I had went back to college and was in the middle of a career change and didn't really have the money to pay for range balls, so to help quench the golfing bug, I took a bunch of old balls and worked on chipping, pitching, and putting. I went from playing one month and shooting a 94, then after about 2 months of short game practice shot an 88 and have only seen the 90's one or two times on tough courses over the past 10 years.

The bad part, though is I've only been in the 70's a couple of times.

It's been said before, drive for show, pitch and putt for dough......

Most of us weekend hackers can get on in 2 or 3, (unless you're slicing into the dark scary forrest where the witches live), it's the duffed chip shots and the 3 and 4 putts that kill the scores.

Out of interest a buddy and I have just sat down and set ourselves what we hope are realistic goals for the next 6-12 month's.
He's a much better golfer than I am, but I'm much more observant and able to spot his 'mistakes". My goal is to shoot 90, his goal is to hit 10 greens in regulation, with playing a scratch round being the 12 month goal for him.

We hope to be able to assist each other to achieve our goals, working on the principle that if you have someone along for the journey, even though the goal is different it should work to your mutual advantage.

As I said at the beginning of this thread I have only recently broken 100, my goal was to do that before my 40th birthday and I did it with about 3 days to spare!
My reward to myself was a new set of custom fitted clubs.
Man they are sweet, anyone here living in Perth go see John Lunan at Tourfit Golf!!

Set REALISTIC goals and reward yourself if you achieve them, just make sure they are realistic goals or else you are setting yourself up for failure.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Congrats Bigwill. That is an accomplishment. Keep plugging away.

I agree with above. Once you break 100, breaking 90 IMO is much easier.

Thanks again, fellas. I'm itching to get back out there to see what happens. Tuesday can't get here soon enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.