Miller & Co. Do it Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Scenario:

Dustin Johnson hits a rat hook into the bushes. The announce team shows a slow motion close up of the club head at impact, at impact the club head twists way open, Gary Koch and Miller say he twisted the club open to keep it from hooking more, they were all baffled that with the club face that open the ball went left. Not one person on the announce team mentioned a toe hit, when obviously, that is what it was.

In today's age of information there is no excuse for being this uninformed.

Yeah, I was watching this live.... pretty funny actually. And this one couldn't have been a more obvious toe hook.
His segue into the slow motion clip was classic: "look at the club face right after impact" (might not be exactly verbatim there, but thats the gist of it) and then he goes to explain it away like you said.

sad

There are people that believe Johnny doesn't mean what he says about CHANGING THE FACE WHILE THE BALL IS ON THE FACE. (One guy from Findland comes to mind). He means exactly what he says and he's full of it. Next he defies gravity with his mind. I bet Johnny's ego won't allow him to admit this is physically impossible to purposely CHANGE the face WHILE THE BALL IS ON THE FACE. Forget the time problem, nobody can purposely switch the forces they programmed into club immediately before impact DURING IMPACT ITSELF. No human has that much strength.

It's the "too big to fail" syndrome. If the announcers were to openly admit they screwed up something as basic as what happens when the club hits the ball, they lose a TON of credibility and the networks just can't let that happen. Their chosen ones have to be infallible on all matters golf for the sake of good old ratings and share. AKA $$$$. What if the viewers were to start thinking, "God what else have they misled us on?". When great players talk about course strategy and playing the game I'm all ears. For the rest of the sh-- I turn off the volume.

I saw that here on Sky in the UK. Shortly after the Sky people (Denis Pugh who sometimes commentates for Sky) showed that sequence again and told the viewers here in the UK what really happened (toe hit and that you cannot react to impact with your hands).

So not all commentators are clueless (okay Denis Pugh is more a coach)

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Denis Pugh should give Gary Koch a call and straighten him out. At least some out there are responsible enough to report what really happened.

More proof that gear effect doesn't exist in Hawaii.

[video=facebook;10151332317949303]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151332317949303[/video]

Dariusz J.

A little off-topic -- driving % below 50% and he is ranked #30 place and not the last one ? Geez....

BTW, this is exactly how incompetent drivers should be punished. Go back to the tee and start with the 3rd if you cannot hit the ball at least averagely well.

Lastly, on topic, it is really weird that commentators who claim to be experts do not know very basic things. There should be at least one person who could be put in the air during these Minolta slo-mo's to interpret what happened correctly. I believe it is no friggin problem in the 21st century to do so.

Cheers

How does a guy who grew up and spent his entire career playing persimmon and balata not understand gear effect....incredible.

This is so true

How does a guy who grew up and spent his entire career playing persimmon and balata not understand gear effect....incredible.

Everytime I hit it on the toe of my persimmon with the old golf balls I got a big old hook. I'm still surprised at how little the ball hooks today when I hit it the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.