More flipping thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple more questions to see if my thinking is correct around flipping. I am pretty sure the height I hit it has a lot to do with the flip, so am pretty sure it will sort out my ball-flight.

I have recently struggled with hitting the ball out of the toe. There are lots of articles and advice on how to stop shanking it, not many about the toe. I have tried reversing what anything reckons for the shank, but that hasn’t made much sense. From the flipper video, I was wondering whether this is caused by standing too tall to start with and then standing up through the swing to avoid hitting the ground early, but ending up moving away from the ball. Do flippers hit it out of the toe as well?

Recently, I have had a few drop-kick drives that (make you look like a bloody beginner and) sound to me like the same root cause as well – the bottom of the swing being well behind where is should be as the clubhead flips past the hands with the expectation that some split second reaction will kick in and save you at the last minute. Or not, as the case may be.

Are these all connected? Am I thinking along the right lines? Could curing the flip be the answer to all these problems?

"This is too simple but keep your head still but not stiff, your eye on the ball until after impact, and swing around a stable spine. This will cure flipping."

I agree with the too simple part. The last sentence is, in my opinion, just too declarative. If your approach is true, then why did it take Brian years of work to eliminate the flip? If true, then Brian's video on the flip could have been 5 minutes long. You are just repeating tips that have been around for what, at least 60 years. Sorry, I don't buy it.

SJO

New
When I stopped flipping, I stopped hitting off the toe, period. This might not be the case with everyone but if I miss now it is in the heel somewhat, which is how I want it to be. Also I never drop-kick drives any more which used to cause accuracy problems.

It didn't have anything to do with keeping my head still in my case, head movement is the result of poor body motion in my opinion.

When I stopped flipping, I stopped hitting off the toe, period. This might not be the case with everyone but if I miss now it is in the heel somewhat, which is how I want it to be. Also I never drop-kick drives any more which used to cause accuracy problems.

I agree. When I stopped flipping I greatly reduced my amount of strikes off the toe.

I think a lot of it has to do with a 'false sense' of 'closing' the clubface when you flip. That causes the toe to lead and puts the golfer more at risk of catching one off the toe.

My mis-hits still tend to be off the toe, but I strike the ball much more crisply and much more off the sweetspot. And it's not too rare for me to go a round without missing the sweetspot.

3JACK

A couple more questions to see if my thinking is correct around flipping. I am pretty sure the height I hit it has a lot to do with the flip, so am pretty sure it will sort out my ball-flight.

I have recently struggled with hitting the ball out of the toe. There are lots of articles and advice on how to stop shanking it, not many about the toe. I have tried reversing what anything reckons for the shank, but that hasn’t made much sense. From the flipper video, I was wondering whether this is caused by standing too tall to start with and then standing up through the swing to avoid hitting the ground early, but ending up moving away from the ball. Do flippers hit it out of the toe as well?

Recently, I have had a few drop-kick drives that (make you look like a bloody beginner and) sound to me like the same root cause as well – the bottom of the swing being well behind where is should be as the clubhead flips past the hands with the expectation that some split second reaction will kick in and save you at the last minute. Or not, as the case may be.

Are these all connected? Am I thinking along the right lines? Could curing the flip be the answer to all these problems?

Johnny, I'm willing to bet you are casting.

I've seen a bunch of poor fittings from fitters that put people in upright gear to mask the fact they club arrives way too upright at impact.

You May need to adjust your clubs. I'm also betting that isn't the issue.

Here's a simple thought that will modify your sequence on the down swing: make easy swings trying to dig the heel into the ground through the hitting area. You'll feel some different things go on with your body alignments. Your rear will try and stay "back." You will have to stay in your spine angle to grind the heel on the ground. Do this at slow speed and heat it up when you feel the sequence.

Similar Issues

I've had similar issues in my swing: toe-hits, drop-kicks and a debilitating inability to make ball then turf contact.

Recently I've found some success focusing on stepping on the left foot. I've found this forces me to pivot more aggressively through the ball and has moved the low-point of the swing forward.

Previously I was "hanging-back" and and trying to help the ball into the air. I went for a lesson with Damon Lucas and the video he took of my swing was very :eek: My hips and shoulders were much too square to the ball at impact.

Brilliant! Thanks gents.

I like the sound of more stability - you don't get the feeling Luke Donald hits many out of the toe keeping his spine angle that consistent through the ball. However, I have always been keen to try and find the root cause of why I am standing up, as opposed to just trying to keep in my spine angle. By that stage of the swing, surely your body is mainly reacting to what has and is happening.

I like the thought of the heel of the club going in to the ground and having a look at the sequence of the downswing. Likewise the feeling of a stronger pivot through the ball and steeping on the left foot - it has felt like my spine angle stays more stable as a result when I give it a thump with my pivot.

Will give them a go and let you know how that goes!

Hanging back, hips and shoulders too square at impact, standing up; I've had the lot! I've even had my left heel coming off the ground some times.

Not sure about fitting. I'm six foot and use standard lie Mizunos (that I have found to be flatter than others in the past). Always seemed okay to me.

NHA2.0 sounds good, but I'm sticking with the flipping video for now. Don't want to confuse myself any more than I already have.

Hopefully I'll have some current video of my swing to post some time soon.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.