More height less distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, since receiving Brians tapes I have been working on really taking a proper divot in front of the ball. Last night out playing I was making excellent contact and the ball was making a real crack as it left the clubface but I was often way shorter than I expected as the ball really went high with my irons and just dropped with no roll whatsoever. Is this to be expected? am I making progress or is the lack of distance a problem. I was at least one club shorter than expected. Even my chipping is stopping dead, (which I like)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
You've increased your spin rate due to probably increased ball speed which is a reaction of increased clubhead speed.

You need stiffer shafts to control the extra speed.

Really?? I would be surprised if that was the case. I am a very little lady playing mens reg shafts X18s half an inch shorter. Before this my swingspeed was around 75 for a 7 iron I could check at the simulator though.

quote:Originally posted by Little Brit

the ball really went high with my irons and just dropped with no roll whatsoever. Is this to be expected? am I making progress or is the lack of distance a problem. I was at least one club shorter than expected. Even my chipping is stopping dead, (which I like)
You might need to have more roll (horizontal hinging)through impact. When chips land and don't roll, usually that is from angled or vertical hinging. One way to check is to chip. When your arms are fully straight, look at where your clubface is pointing. If it's pointed fully left, that's horizontal hinging. 45 degrees to the plane line is angled and perpendicular is vertical.

One way to learn hinge actions is to chip slowly and perform the three hinge actions. They have the feel of 1)full roll of your lead hand (horizontal) 2)no roll (angled) 3) reverse roll (vertical). Best to look at your hands and not the club initially. Then close your eyes to internalize the feel.

Garth

New
This is something I'm working on too. After learning to not flip it, I was holding on and creating vertical hinging on all iron shots. (high weak shots). I'm starting to get to a horizontal hinge, but I'm using the right hand to control it, not the left. Ball is flying much lower, longer, and better control. I do tend to pull or hook one occasionally, but I'm determined to work through this as I know I'm on the right path.

Thankyou for your replies :) I will check my hinging. I have been working not to flip and I think it is working well, but yes I think I might be a bit steep now as in my effort to hit down and eliminate my early release I may be overdoing it. I will head out soon and practice my chips and half swings and work on those things to see what happens.

Ok! I was just out practicing and found that my hinging is angled at a chip shot but is definately fully horizontal as it carries on to a full swing. I think this is ok. but Wanole mentioned poss. too steep. After working on Brians fiddle drill that is the feel I am ingraining to make sure I really hit down on the ball, this could be causing me to be too steep, I feel that if I am not steep and really hold on then I will chunk it. I may be holding the angle too long and doing something incorrectly. I don't know I probably should tape myself to see what I am doing. What you think you are doing isn't always the case is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.