More NHA Qestions: Power in the NHA pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I bought NHA my golf game has steadily improved, and I get more excited about the game every time I play. This summer I broke 80 for the first time; yesterday, I came down to the 18th hole needing a par to do it again (I didn't succeed-my nerves won out).

Before I found this website, I had spent some time trying David Lee's gravity-golf. It never worked for me (though I was awfully impressed by his videos). What initially impressed me about the NHA pattern was its similarity to gravity golf (counterfall and drop of the arms, "shake the sugar," drop and rotate, etc). Whatever Lee was trying to get at, NHA has and does so in a way that is actually useable by ordinary golfers.

With that said, here is my question: BManz has said that a pure swinging motion will generate only 85% of possible power, and that to generate maximum power, one has to apply force against the shaft at the last point that the shaft is parallel to the ground (or perpendicular to the ground, I cannot remember exactly). This notion of FATS is contrary to gravity golf, and I am trying to figure out how to do it in the NHA pattern. Can any one who is familiar with the NHA pattern explain to me how to apply FATS when you are "shaking the sugar"? Intuitively, it seems to me that dropping the arms on the ball is incompatible with FATS, but I want to generate as much power as possible using the NHA pattern.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

RP

Before you worry about another concept you should try to
determine whether you actually have a problem. 85% of maximum
power would be fine for the scoring clubs, and really for all clubs.
100% can introduce consistency problems.

What are your average distances for PW, 9, 8, 7 irons?
Everyone is different, but your's might shed light on whether your
distances are on the short side. Also, if you don't instantly know
the numbers, then learning your exact yardage gaps would be goal
that could really help your score.

S

SteveT

With that said, here is my question: BManz has said that a pure swinging motion will generate only 85% of possible power, and that to generate maximum power, one has to apply force against the shaft at the last point that the shaft is parallel to the ground (or perpendicular to the ground, I cannot remember exactly). This notion of FATS .....

This statement perked up my interest .... and could you or anybody else provide me with the reference to BManz' statement. Thanks.

Before you worry about another concept you should try to
determine whether you actually have a problem. 85% of maximum
power would be fine for the scoring clubs, and really for all clubs.
100% can introduce consistency problems.

What are your average distances for PW, 9, 8, 7 irons?
Everyone is different, but your's might shed light on whether your
distances are on the short side. Also, if you don't instantly know
the numbers, then learning your exact yardage gaps would be goal
that could really help your score.

Steve,

You are definitely right. I do need to figure out exactly how far I hit my short irons, all my clubs really. Right now I assume that I hit a PW 100 yds, a 9 130, an 8 140, and a 7 150, maybe a little longer in each case. Still, I could be way off and need to be much more accurate in my measurements.

I am also interested, however, in the question because I want to understand the concepts, both NHA and FATS. When I look at the video, and I have reviewed it maybe six times, I cannot see how the pattern allows for FATS. I would think, intuitively, it should, and maybe I don't understand what I know about the pattern. That is part of my question also.

Thanks for your response.

RP

i think FATS is applied naturally in most swings. i think the point is that if you only "pull" on the shaft and try to resist adding FATS, you're limiting your power supply and will be powder puffing it.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You can shake the sugar after you've applied FATS to turn the face toward the ball. NHA works best with FATS because it allows you to tilt as late as possible, opening the face just a touch.

You can shake the sugar after you've applied FATS to turn the face toward the ball. NHA works best with FATS because it allows you to tilt as late as possible, opening the face just a touch.

Thanks, Kevin. I think that, maybe, I am unclear about what FATS is. I have understood it in a TGM-kind-of way, where Force Against the Shaft is like TGM-Hitting, while Force-Along-the-Shaft is TGM-Swinging. Understanding it that way, I had assumed BManz to be saying that maximum power resulted from adding Force Against the Shaft (like TGM-hitting) right before impact, after the moment when the shaft is perpendicular to the ground. What was confusing me was the notion of adding Force Against the Shaft in that momentary time interval when shaking the sugar, because that seems to me contradictory.

My question from your comment: if, in the NHA pattern, applying Force Against the Shaft means to turn the face toward the ball before you shake the sugar, how does it add to power, other than helping ensure a sweet-spot impact with a maximum-energy transfer?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Shake the sugar is a very general, but fantastic, visual to help people to use gravity in their swing. On the way down this "gravity drop" you can add some FATS to speed up your arms on make a bigger sugar POOF on the ball. The side benefit from using it with NHA is that it helps keep the face a touch open to comply with the shot pattern.

Shake the sugar is a very general, but fantastic, visual to help people to use gravity in their swing. On the way down this "gravity drop" you can add some FATS to speed up your arms on make a bigger sugar POOF on the ball. The side benefit from using it with NHA is that it helps keep the face a touch open to comply with the shot pattern.

Thanks. That explanation helps me a lot. RP

rprevost

I have been using this pattern for almost 2 years and have played the best golf of my life, by a large margin.

I use the following swing thoughts.

While catching the drop try and rotate as fast as possible down the yellow brick road, in conjunction with right side bend

I also focus on having very light grip pressure and tension free arms and chest.

Think speed; go as fast as you can. No tension.

Not a teacher just another consumer who uses this pattern with great success.

Flame suit on.

rprevost

I have been using this pattern for almost 2 years and have played the best golf of my life, by a large margin.

While catching the drop try and rotate as fast as possible down the yellow brick road, in conjunction with right side bend

I also focus on having very light grip pressure and tension free arms and chest.

Flame suit on.

What's your ball flight?

thx.

I had some distance issues with NHA. May try your thoughts to see if they work, because otherwise I hit the ball pretty ok.

rprevost

Flame suit on.

Thanks for your comment. I think that I have not been thinking about any right side bend at all. If I understand it, right-side bend will cause the face to stay open a little longer. I hope it will help with my characteristic miscue using NHA, pulling it left.

Yesterday, I tried have more right side bend. It is going to take me some time to figure it out. However, I will say, when I did it right, the few times that I did, I busted it.

I have a question for those who use this pattern: when I finished yesterday, I had more soreness in my back than usual. I am wondering whether it was from all that conscious side-bending. Is having a lot of right-side bend, or tilt, harder on the back that a swing with less side bend?

Yesterday, I tried have more right side bend. It is going to take me some time to figure it out. However, I will say, when I did it right, the few times that I did, I busted it.

I have a question for those who use this pattern: when I finished yesterday, I had more soreness in my back than usual. I am wondering whether it was from all that conscious side-bending. Is having a lot of right-side bend, or tilt, harder on the back that a swing with less side bend?

If you think of the left shoulder going "up and back" on the downsing, the right-side bend might take care of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.