More open in downswing..hips, shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Brian and the guys..

A lot of people teach opening the hips "through impact/through the hit" and open hips at impact.

I've been using the r shoulder and hip to drive my swing for some time now. I've had great success with it but I think eventualy I lost some motion/participation in my left side. (I don't mean capability, rather "in swing")

Nha-type stuff works better for me now, and I've been playing well with it. And not so much lately with (what had been my usual) flatter shoulder turn, full hip turn, full roll swing. I try to full roll through the hit and it just kinda goes "poof". No compression, erratic contact, weak right shots.

Not sure xactly why, though it feels like I simply cannot get the face closed enough or on the ball solidly enough. Like there is not enough rotary motion (left side driven, or hand rotation) to pull things through.

Never have found success with trying to open my hips, but I have ideas there too. (things to reduce loft) What about openING shoulders? Started toying around w it yesterday, still in stage X.

"Open left shoulder, smash with right."

If nothing else I thought it would be interesting to share.

Last edited:
Birdie

Brian gave me a drill where you start with the club in front of the ball and make a follow through swing where you take your body and club to about the point when the butt of the club is pointing back at the ball. From there you keep your lower body at that point and return the club behind the ball. It really gives you a feeling of where you can get your hips and shoulder at impact. Hope this helps.

Junk junk junk. (Cept for goley's post)

Was starting to lose too much power. Went to using the left shoulder to drive the swing (again) and hit it stronger and more solid, but still crooked, and pitched it worse.

It would seem that when I use my left side more I tilt better, but am more apt to swing too inside out. Too much rside (or improper use) and I think I lose my tilt, and maybe even a bit of the "swing" in my swing.

Started using the rshoulder so that it felt as though it and my hands were going up as my clubhead struck the ball. (clubhead moving down if the ball sat on the ground, of course)

Got the power back and started hitting it well enough that I could leave the range happy.

Thanks again Goley. Maybe I can get it going good enough to stop experimenting and trying stuff I already have.

Turned out to be a pretty good day yesterday.

Last edited:
I've been using the r shoulder and hip to drive my swing for some time now. I've had great success with it but I think eventualy I lost some motion/participation in my left side. (I don't mean capability, rather "in swing")

Birdie,

Do you think that you got too much tilt early with out hands?

Birdie,

Do you think that you got too much tilt early with out hands?

I would say that's probably accurate. I haven't worked on that in a while, as I have been working on using the r side of my body more...but with your reminder I think I'll have to again.

The more "up" feeling w the rshoulder turned out to be junk junk junk as well BTW. (and bunk)

I think though it got me more behind the ball, w my rshoulder LOWER in the backswing, and relbow more pointed down. Less down hit and a better path...and, with the elbow, more open clubface. All in all less pulls or weak rights and mishits.

I kind of neglected the elbow(s) for a while now I realized. I figured a while ago that it was ok...and just kind of left it alone. That's good when it's working and you know what (you're doing) and why. Funny how things evolve and change.

Have been trying both extremes again now (and "in betweens") with the relbow. ("tucked" vs "flying", at the top) More interested in getting it more up though, like Daly, Couples, Nicklaus, Jones, etc, though in my efforts I might not even be flying it as much as I think I am.

Still early but feels like I can actually get the club swinging and "slinging" again. (down at the bottom when CF really gets goin and the clubface is turning over fast) Hands and arms can stay closer to the body I think to aid this, while still getting the clubhead more up and out. And with the bent left wrist it tends to, the face hopefully is open enough (just right) as well.

I think I was popping out. The only question I think is if I can control the clubface w a "high-ish" relbow- cause I never have been able to. Or at least not to my knowledge. I'm wondering if I was doing something more like this unknowingly, as I was only really working on turning the rhip sharp and flat, and trying to turn the rshoulder on a slight diagonal path. (out to in swing) And full rollin.

Anyhoo!, it's been a crazy thing cause late last year, a few times over the winter, and my first few times out I actually was really hammering it this way, then it changed for some reason.

Lesson: be careful neglecting something unless you already have a good understanding of it. And be careful getting too comfortable using extremes, absolutes, or too much generality with ideas. Just cause it's easier to think about doesn't (necessarily) mean it's best.

And: "Golf swings are more like gardens than buildings."

Mine got frost all over it (old man winterrrrr!!), and then freaking grew all over the place. Then I took out a chainsaw instead of a more precise set of clippers.

PHEW. Sorry for the book. But I thought it was interesting, and maybe even different enough to post here. Gonna give updates on this one.

F(orget) this tinkering man...I gotta get it, and get it back from the clutches of Old Man Winter. I want to freaking play now, not play around.

Last edited:
Elbow is fine. Back to leaving it the hell alone.

Something different now from before, period. A new swing this is.

Freed by new information supportive of my ocd desires, grippin it a hair stronger.

New thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.