Multiple patterns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lee trevino once said that he always went to the course with two swings, so that he would have something to fall back on.

Does anyone do this, or, in a breakdown, do you stick with one procedure, trudging through the "valley of tears"(as Oliver Heuer would say)?

jeffy

Banned
Johnny Miller had three: Trevino (fade), Tony Lema (hook), J. Miller (straight). He said that having three different swings to chose from helped distract him from the pressure. He also said his putting suffered because he only had "one" putting stroke, and it wasn't that great!

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

Lee trevino once said that he always went to the course with two swings, so that he would have something to fall back on.
Am I hearing this correctly??

Wasn't Trevino one of the 3 players in the history of golf that truly 'owned' their swing?

I know what my tendencies are.My strikes tend to creep towards the heel and it's caused by losing my spine angle towards the ball.I can usually fix it.Also the odd throwaway swing.If I can't fix these,there aint no back up swing or three.

I always thought the best players can fix their swing mid round,not go to a spare one.

Yep - it was an interview with one of the rags(Golf Digest, Golf, Golf Tips) in the 80s. He thought of it as an edge he had over others, but wasn't specific about the differences. I guess he owned his swing(s).

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I play with 2 patterns....one is mainly a swinging pattern with hitting the short stuff.

When the round goes bad i like to "play the ball down" and i hit just about everything to keep the leaks from turing into spills ;)

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Whatever it takes for the situation at hand.

Master's level of execution. With and without Wristcock. With and without #3 Accumulator, with any Hinging, with any Plane Line Combination from any Ball Location, Hitting or Swinging, with Right Forearm Takeaway and with a motionless Right Wrist.

jeffy

Banned
quote:Originally posted by ej20

Am I hearing this correctly??

Wasn't Trevino one of the 3 players in the history of golf that truly 'owned' their swing?

I know what my tendencies are.My strikes tend to creep towards the heel and it's caused by losing my spine angle towards the ball.I can usually fix it.Also the odd throwaway swing.If I can't fix these,there aint no back up swing or three.

I always thought the best players can fix their swing mid round,not go to a spare one.

Nicklaus said Lee was the best he ever saw at "creating shots". You can't "create" shots using only one swing pattern, can you?

Watson became one of the best using only a constant speed, full 3-barrel Swing, even with the short irons. The only way he could vary distance was by changing clubs. That was about the only criticism I ever heard during his reign.

hue

New

Watson became one of the best using only a constant speed, full 3-barrel Swing, even with the short irons. The only way he could vary distance was by changing clubs. That was about the only criticism I ever heard during his reign.
What about his short range putting?:D

jeffy

Banned
quote:Originally posted by hue

What about his short range putting?:D

That was after his reign, and after he started drinking...he holed everything he looked at while he was winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.