My back is killing me! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to shoot some video and post it up but I'll try to describe what I'm doing in hopes of getting some answers.

I have a take away that goes a good bit inside with a closed face. My first move back is a full turn of the hips. My first move down is a snap of the hips to the left. Club comes down a little inside the line but I have to hold the face off to keep from hitting a big hook. The club works down the line for a long time and never really gets left until deep into the follow through.

Typical ball flight is a little right to left. Misses are blocks right. I can hit a fade but don't like to because it often turns into a pull hook or I chase the ball even further down the line and put more pressure on my back. I'm not a short hitter but not reall long. 8 iron carry with my Ping i5's is about 150.

Any advice? Am I going to have to post video to get any meaningful help?

It has taken me a while, but I'm starting to realize that leg drive (and sharp hip turn on the back swing) really are useless unless your torso is over your legs and coming along for the ride. Getting whipped around by your legs is no way to go through life. Unless, that is, you like to live life underplane and with a bad back.

Check out the never hook again pattern. Knudson's book is a good read as well. Amazon.com: Natural Golf Swing (9780771045349): George Knudson, Lorne Rubenstein: Books

it sounds to me like your arms are way behind your body and you are pulling your left shoulder way out at impact. Now, the disconnection between your arms and body might be the cause of your back pain. I would try doing some drills where you keep your lower body a little more stable. i.e. rotate your upper torso over your stable lower body while keeping your arms in front of your chest. This should get rid of your snap hook and hopefully help your back. Other than that, try some yoga!! great for the back. Mine hasn't hurt for two years since starting yoga once a week.

A couple thoughts that come to mind that bother my back--I had disc surgery about 20 years ago or so and have back troubles ever since. The farther away I stand from the ball, the more my back hurts. The more "x-factor" stretch and less "slack" in the transition, the more my back hurts. I have to have my weight feel like its back throughout the whole swing so that it feels like the club is swinging "under my pivot"-- if that makes sense?-- or my back hurts.

Otherwise, I suggest to go see a good chiropractor--preferably with a DACBSP or a CCSP, a sports chiropractic diplomate.

All sounds like good advice. I ordered NHA last night in hopes of finding a pattern that is a little more back friendly for me. Disconnected arms, standing to far from the ball, and driving the legs sounds a lot like my current swing. I'm going to shoot some video of my swing before I make any changes and then some after video for comparison.

westy

New
get a diagnosis of the exact location and cause of the pain. find out more about your body. you don't know enough about whats causing it.
you need to name the muscle or joint or connective tissue.

Last edited:
Often when I swing with a reverse pivot or close to it, I feel a twinge in my lower back in the downswing.

You kind of have to reef your tailbone underneath you to tilt in the backswing. My guess is it could contribute, and personally I do feel it when I do it.

Makes sense if you think about it. You have to move that portion of your body a lot and quickly, and then have it come to a fairly abrupt stop. (like Fred Couples for one...who can hit it- but does have a bad back)

Also weary about any kind of restriction. (to "stretch" muscles, etc.) But not real sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.