My quick perspective on Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It would be interesting (never happen of course) to see if scoring was different. Point for a fairway, point for a green, etc.

In my own case, I know what it takes to win events on my level. I also haven't the time to keep my short game really sharp so my goal is no mistakes, fairways and greens. Consequently, I hit a lot of greens. Doesn't mean I'm the best or most accurate ball striker, just playing away from my weaknesses. As of now, I feel like I could reel off 6-8 birdies in any given round but the effort to do so may cause some overly aggressive moves which may lead to some over par holes. So it may be a 69 with 7 birdies and 4 bogies or a 69 with 3 birdies no bogies.

Now, if I was playing a Nationwide Tour Monday qualifier, or a sectional US Open qualifier at a certain site, or a PGA section event like I played last week where 33 under wins, you adjust but you might have consequences. That's why you'll see a Tour event where the 36 hole leader is -12 and a very good, well known player missed the cut at +5 or something. The line is so fine out there that a style of play or game plan can backfire if you're a little off or don't have the short game. So I'm sure there are plenty of modern players who light up ball striking stats that don't have the short games to win so they have to stick to a certain style. Mickelson in his prime could do whatever the hell he wanted tee to green because he was likely to hole a chip every round as another player making a 25 footer. My good friend Nathan Smith will stick a wedge to a foot and make a 25 footer every round. How might that affect your mindset at the start of the day?

It would be interesting (never happen of course) to see if scoring was different. Point for a fairway, point for a green, etc.

In my own case, I know what it takes to win events on my level. I also haven't the time to keep my short game really sharp so my goal is no mistakes, fairways and greens. Consequently, I hit a lot of greens. Doesn't mean I'm the best or most accurate ball striker, just playing away from my weaknesses. As of now, I feel like I could reel off 6-8 birdies in any given round but the effort to do so may cause some overly aggressive moves which may lead to some over par holes. So it may be a 69 with 7 birdies and 4 bogies or a 69 with 3 birdies no bogies.

Now, if I was playing a Nationwide Tour Monday qualifier, or a sectional US Open qualifier at a certain site, or a PGA section event like I played last week where 33 under wins, you adjust but you might have consequences. That's why you'll see a Tour event where the 36 hole leader is -12 and a very good, well known player missed the cut at +5 or something. The line is so fine out there that a style of play or game plan can backfire if you're a little off or don't have the short game. So I'm sure there are plenty of modern players who light up ball striking stats that don't have the short games to win so they have to stick to a certain style. Mickelson in his prime could do whatever the hell he wanted tee to green because he was likely to hole a chip every round as another player making a 25 footer. My good friend Nathan Smith will stick a wedge to a foot and make a 25 footer every round. How might that affect your mindset at the start of the day?

So well said.

You couldn't wipe the smile off my face leading into a game where I knew the other team was gonna play some kind of zone. Contrast that with knowing the guy in front of me was gonna be 6'7", move like he's on roller blades, and be in my jersey all night. You can still put up the same numbers, but the latter requires a completely different mindset, plan, and execution while usually feeling just generally beat up when it's over.

If you only ever play against a sagging zone you're missing a whole mother side of the game.

It would make me VERY patient.

Two things come to mind. Every round has its ebbs and flows and often times you have to break it into small segments- maybe three holes at a time. If you find yourself missing fairways or greens, it's a good idea to refocus, do whatever it takes to hit a fairway and a green to right the ship. Reboot for the next three hole stretch.

The other is mindset. A well known teacher gave a speech at our Section meeting where he described a course management strategy/ mindset. He challenged a student that they couldn't break 40 for 9 holes if the teacher could place their tee shot anywhere...behind trees, deep rough, etc. The student took the challenge, hit some amazing recoveries and shot 1 over. The point to the exercise?

He asked the student what he would have shot had the student hit those same tee shots into trouble?

Mindset.

My feeling on stats as they are currently shown. GIR is very misleading. It is not uncommon for pins to be cut 3 or 4 paces from the edge of a green. Greens typically slope from back to front and side to side for drainage. If a player were to hit the geographic center of every green on Tour they would face the fastest, most breaking putts imaginable. If the cut is +2, they are probably safe. If its -4 they are probably trunk slamming.

Standing in the fairway, a player better aim at the 8 foot circle to the left of the left pins, to the right of the right pins and short of the front pins. Especially if they want to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.