My swing and the new release: Going in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please let me know what you think and if I'm going in the right direction.

This first video is my old swing. Not the prettiest, but it gets the job done decently.

IMG_0215.MOV - YouTube

This second video is me attempting the new release with bent arms at the top. However, I find my arms are continuing to go up after I've turned my back to the target which looks like too long of a swing to me (also my contact is inconsistent here).

IMG 0214 - YouTube

The last video is my attempt at the new release with straighter firmer arms at the top. My contact is better when I do this.

IMG 0213 - YouTube

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Jwat

New
I liked swing #2's arm position but #3's body movement. Looks like in #2 on the DS you use alot more body vs. #3. Maybe why you weren't as consistant. On #3 you definitley let the club head dictate the DS.

I like the second swing the best, it's hard to tell for sure in 2D but it looks like the ball could be a tad more forward to give yourself some room to go normal.
Going forward, which swing do you feel has the most long term potential for you to play well with.

Jwat

New
Jdish, how do you initiate the beginning of your swing? You get the chest turning behind really fast and your full back to the target. Wish I could get to that position.

S

SteveT

jdish ... viewed your 3 videos and my non-teacher impression is that your swing is very compact and uniform. What are you attempting to control when you are into your swing... centeredness?.. weight distribution between the feet?.. restricting hip rotation back?.. smoothness?

What would happen if, in your backswing, you sat into your rear right leg and dropping your upper body by say 1 inch or slightly more... and then when you are approaching the downswing low hand couple point at your right hip you start to raise yourself with the thrust from the rear leg to release your right hip, and then straightening the left leg when your weight has reached your left side and you are into final release?

Look at videos of pros like Woods who really dips and then rises up through impact to add parametric acceleration to the centripetal acceleration. It will likely destabilize your very smooth swing action, but your clubhead speed will dramatically increase.

Your thoughts.....

Jdish, how do you initiate the beginning of your swing? You get the chest turning behind really fast and your full back to the target. Wish I could get to that position.

Jwat, I used to step on my right foot to initiate. I have long arms and am pretty flexible. After stepping on my right foot for a year I started getting a little too much length in my backswing and reverse pivoting. I now try to stay a little more centered and I don't have a conscious trigger to initiate my swing. Thanks for your thoughts and for looking at my swings!

jdish ... viewed your 3 videos and my non-teacher impression is that your swing is very compact and uniform. What are you attempting to control when you are into your swing... centeredness?.. weight distribution between the feet?.. restricting hip rotation back?.. smoothness?

What would happen if, in your backswing, you sat into your rear right leg and dropping your upper body by say 1 inch or slightly more... and then when you are approaching the downswing low hand couple point at your right hip you start to raise yourself with the thrust from the rear leg to release your right hip, and then straightening the left leg when your weight has reached your left side and you are into final release?

Look at videos of pros like Woods who really dips and then rises up through impact to add parametric acceleration to the centripetal acceleration. It will likely destabilize your very smooth swing action, but your clubhead speed will dramatically increase.

Your thoughts.....

SteveT, the things I try to focus on in my swing are swinging the clubhead, keeping my angles, keeping my arms connected, and feeling the shot I want to hit (draw/fade). I'm not actively trying to stay centered, but I'm also trying to keep myself from getting loose and over swinging.

I like your idea of stepping and moving into the right side more and on the other side then getting more "jump" through the ball. Thanks for taking a look. I'll try it out today.

I like the 3rd one.

Thanks Brian. I'll keep moving in that direction. Anything I should focus on?

Status
Not open for further replies.