My Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say start by really trying the twistaway. It might feel weight, but as you can see on the video, your l wrist is still cupped and if I'm not mistaken that shot went right. Twist away and maintain it till you start hooking the ball a ton. If the twistaway feels exagerated, you are probably closer to doing it right.

Zarro, he's a hooker of the ball, I can almost guarantee it. That clubace is not open and he's not cupping his left wrist. He has a very bent wrist and you can tell by where his right elbow is in space at the top of his backswing. It's a bit flat and laid off which he makes up for with a lot of leg and hip action.

It's a good players swing that needs some minor adjusting... but I'll bet the kid can play.

Zarro, he's a hooker of the ball, I can almost guarantee it. That clubace is not open and he's not cupping his left wrist. He has a very bent wrist and you can tell by where his right elbow is in space at the top of his backswing. It's a bit flat and laid off which he makes up for with a lot of leg and hip action.

It's a good players swing that needs some minor adjusting... but I'll bet the kid can play.

You know what, your right. His divot looked like the ball and that's why I said he hit it right. I'm blind. I hate those you tube video's too, can't do a frame by frame like you can in quicktime. I hope now that we can agree with the reccomendation of lot's more up in the backswing, ala NHA. My apologies for being blind. I would also think it might help him to think of getting his left thumb under the shaft at the top. I have no doubt that he can play pretty well.

You know what, your right. His divot looked like the ball and that's why I said he hit it right. I'm blind. I hate those you tube video's too, can't do a frame by frame like you can in quicktime. I hope now that we can agree with the reccomendation of lot's more up in the backswing, ala NHA. My apologies for being blind. I would also think it might help him to think of getting his left thumb under the shaft at the top. I have no doubt that he can play pretty well.

You're right about the thumb. I told him the same thing in my complete analysis.

Yes, the wind definitely blows quite a bit here. Probably around 10 - 25 mph on average. I live in the Bay Area, CA and I was hitting a 6 iron.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I had a hunch, your swing looks like a lot of TOP TEXAS JUNIOR swings i saw when i visited a friend of mine in Texas. His top junior had a swing very similar to yours except almost ZERO wristcock, very strange but boy was he a playa!

I'll have to think about how i could help you out without you losing that low draw you like to play (i'm guessing).

I had a hunch, your swing looks like a lot of TOP TEXAS JUNIOR swings i saw when i visited a friend of mine in Texas. His top junior had a swing very similar to yours except almost ZERO wristcock, very strange but boy was he a playa!

I'll have to think about how i could help you out without you losing that low draw you like to play (i'm guessing).

Funny you mention that. At first glance I thought it looked alot like Justin Leonard's swing when he first came on tour

I went with more axis tilt, keep the grip but maybe a tad stronger with the right if he wants. Work a bit on the release and a proper swivel. He's got a great swing with a lot of DOWN and OUT to the ball. Lots of lag and very shut but also blocks it out a bit just after impact.

I can just imagine Brian chiming in with "Stop swinging right".

You're right it is a low draw, but a lot of shots I play can go anywhere. Low hook, an occasional shank, push fade, push, pull hook. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't like that low draw. It's just what developed after years of practicing at the range where there is an absolute head wind. I guess I just learned to adjust. Anyway, I want that straight boring shot that fades a little at the end.

Ringer has already helped me immensely and I am truly grateful for his help. I love golf. I love improving. I love the hard work that goes along with improving. I love the feeling that golf gives you when you learn how to control the ball. I feel powerful when that happens.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
More tilt would cause him to swing further right and hit it higher, which are things you don't want when you want to play a lower draw.

IMO, i think his swing is pretty good. Hard to tell too much from that video. Maybe work a little bit on plane and setup, don't like how wide his stance is especially with an iron. It's a pattern that will produce a low draw pretty repeatedly but will also make it hard to get the long irons up to any acceptable height level.

If anything some setup adjustments and a few tweaks here or there. Nothing major.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
You're right it is a low draw, but a lot of shots I play can go anywhere. Low hook, an occasional shank, push fade, push, pull hook. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't like that low draw. It's just what developed after years of practicing at the range where there is an absolute head wind. I guess I just learned to adjust. Anyway, I want that straight boring shot that fades a little at the end.

Ringer has already helped me immensely and I am truly grateful for his help. I love golf. I love improving. I love the hard work that goes along with improving. I love the feeling that golf gives you when you learn how to control the ball. I feel powerful when that happens.

Try this: Next time you're hitting balls i want you to keep your mid-body hands type setup BUT when you take it away i want you to move the BUTT END of the club first. Move the handle FIRST parallel to your target line for like 6" and just make a normal swing for the rest and report back. It is essentially a lagging clubhead takeaway but i don't want you to over do it. No Jack Nicklaus or Bobby Clampett type stuff, just a little lag takeaway. Also unless you were hitting 2 or 3 iron in that video, narrow your stance a bit.

If my hunch is right i think you'll like the results ;)

Try this: Next time you're hitting balls i want you to keep your mid-body hands type setup BUT when you take it away i want you to move the BUTT END of the club first. Move the handle FIRST parallel to your target line for like 6" and just make a normal swing for the rest and report back. It is essentially a lagging clubhead takeaway but i don't want you to over do it. No Jack Nicklaus or Bobby Clampett type stuff, just a little lag takeaway. Also unless you were hitting 2 or 3 iron in that video, narrow your stance a bit.

If my hunch is right i think you'll like the results ;)

I'll totally try it tomorrow.

Good swing: Hit some short irons with some grass on your left thumb and keep it there with some gentle pressure from your right thumb pad (pp2). I'm all for a soft grip, but yours borders on too soft. I think you might find it hard to get to your finish with the grass in place.

More tilt would cause him to swing further right and hit it higher, which are things you don't want when you want to play a lower draw.

IMO, i think his swing is pretty good. Hard to tell too much from that video. Maybe work a little bit on plane and setup, don't like how wide his stance is especially with an iron. It's a pattern that will produce a low draw pretty repeatedly but will also make it hard to get the long irons up to any acceptable height level.

If anything some setup adjustments and a few tweaks here or there. Nothing major.
I was thinking more tilt would of course cause more right as well, but one difference here for him is that he blocks it. His "right" swing isn't because of his spine angle but because of his forearm manipulation.

Or do you prefer watching him hit draws with no spine tilt? I must admit he's one of the few I've ever seen do it this way.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The lack of tilt and swing to the right is a direct result of a swing built around the conditions he lives in. I visited a friend and wonderful teacher in Texas a few months back who has taught and produced some of the best junior players in all of the south that i got to see with my own eyes and the majority of them all have similar swings, they're built for the wind.

He needs a few tweaks on his setup/backswing to help him from swinging not AS MUCH right but you wouldn't want him to move it too far left because the ball is going to start going higher which may not be something he wants.

The lack of tilt and swing to the right is a direct result of a swing built around the conditions he lives in. I visited a friend and wonderful teacher in Texas a few months back who has taught and produced some of the best junior players in all of the south that i got to see with my own eyes and the majority of them all have similar swings, they're built for the wind.

He needs a few tweaks on his setup/backswing to help him from swinging not AS MUCH right but you wouldn't want him to move it too far left because the ball is going to start going higher which may not be something he wants.

Yeah, that definately is a swing built for low ball. He'd get a ton of roll out here in the desert.

What's really interesting to me is to see his swing just before impact and how closed his shoulders are. Such a huge leg drive but still closed shoulders. It reminds me a lot of Tom Lehman.

Status
Not open for further replies.