NCAA Tournament & Preparing to Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riviera CC is a great tournament site. I sent yesterday watching the teams preparing for the championship. Why do elite teams/players
prepare so poorly? Very few players using their pre-shot routine and are hitting multiple shots to the same target. Only a few are
changing targets or clubs after each shot. A number have their coach working on technique. Does this give them confidence or tell
them they have a swing fault? The game is score so prepare to play simulating what you will do on the course.

Coaches need to review some of the brain, mind and learning scientific findings. What do you think about tournament preparation?

hp12c

New
A few reason, traditions, beliefs, individualism etc. Some players do well with lots of structure some dont and then there are the players in between those two extremes a great coach/instructor must balance all that so he/she can get the most out of the players. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Being a HS or college golf coach is a bit tricky. Some players want you watching every swing others do not.

Working the range at the NCAA's a couple of years ago I noticed a lot of kids doing exactly as you said. Most were like kids hitting a lot of shots as far as possible. Some were practicing like professionals, they were the most successful.

Would a high school or college football or basketball coach let their players dictate practice sessions?

This forum is about best practices. How should we teach/coach? Can we discuss pedagogy in the same terms as swing?

Looking forward to a lot of answers bases on data, evidence, and/or research

great post, i may head up there tomorrow to see for myself. the thing i love about golf is that there is a "proving ground" for what works best. if these kids aren't practicing or preparing in the best possible way for them, it stands to reason that they are opening themselves up to getting beat. and nobody likes getting beat, it makes any true competitor start thinking about what they have to do to get better.

Great post, dwurzer. Preparing for a major event both mentally and physically may be the most underrated skill in the game.

From my experience, working on anything other than routine and strategy at the last minute is nothing but insecurity on the part of the competitor. A swing coach and a driving range can become security blankets for some. Although nearly every golfer in the world at any level is working on "something" at any given time, at some point you MUST dance with the one that brought you...no matter how ugly she is. I was always jealous of the guys at the end of the range that were laughing and joking while I was cramming for the exam that I clearly felt I wasn't prepared for.

Just my two cents from three failed attempts at Q-School and my piss poor "over-preparation."

I wish I would have read "The New Toughness Training for Sports" by James Loehr 10 years ago...a must read for serious athletes.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have a very demanding 36 hole sectional Opeen qualifier monday. I will prepare thouroughly by having 8 lessons Thursday and Friday. 5 lessons Saturday followed by a wedding and I will prepare physically by pitching my 5th complete game as Little League manager. I will, however, get 18 holes on Sunday:)

I have a very demanding 36 hole sectional Opeen qualifier monday. I will prepare thouroughly by having 8 lessons Thursday and Friday. 5 lessons Saturday followed by a wedding and I will prepare physically by pitching my 5th complete game as Little League manager. I will, however, get 18 holes on Sunday:)

Yes, but you can't hide talent. Good luck, brother.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
On this topic, I couldn't agree more. Nobody's perfect but so many tournament players do not know how to prepare. Just because someone hits a million balls ive heard theyre a hard worker. No, they just hit a lot of balls. No on course simulation, no wedge gaming, always hitting mid irons the same way...no shotmaking practice. One of my greatest regrets in this business is not being able to spend more time viewing practice of these type of players. In the future, I'd love to have a scheduled tourney prep for players in the same event.

bcoak

New
Read an article about how college golf is the worst breeding ground for slow play. I guess coaches follow players and help with club selection and yardage and it is painful. WHy is this not outside assistance?

i remember when you mentioned all the other qualifiers were college-aged. now i understand why.

That should do it. You're a cinch to get through. (Which Sectional?)

hp12c

New

Dude u r the man!!! all that and can still kick ass at golf. WOW!!

Good luck Kevin. I always think the toughest one's, are where there are like 25 guys for 1 spot in Montana or Nebraska and someone shoots 133.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Good luck Kevin. I always think the toughest one's, are where there are like 25 guys for 1 spot in Montana or Nebraska and someone shoots 133.

Tell me about it. I finished second in a sectional one spotter years ago at 142......only to lose to Chad Campbell at 139.

Status
Not open for further replies.