Need a Course Recommendation ... Gulf Shores, Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
I need a golf course recommendation ... Gulf Shores, Alabama. I've never been.

Please take into consideration that I'm a poor person.

Having said that, know any good beachfront hotels? (family is picking up the tab on the hotel)

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Kiva Dunes is the best course in Gulf Shores. It's a Jerry Pate design, and I think it's one of his best. You're very close to the gulf and you get lots of wind, sand, waste areas, and plenty of shot variety. The Peninsula is nearby, and I have heard it's a good design, but I haven't played it.

Steelwood is about 30 minutes away. It's another JP design and is also outstanding. It plays through a Pine Forest.

The RTJ Trail courses in Mobile are great values and you can get in 36 holes at one site. From Gulf Shores you're probably 75-90 minutes away

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Thanks for the tips, Hayes.

I've been looking at Kiva Dunes - that's likely where I'll end up one day. Anyone stayed at their resort?

Kiva Dunes is very nice, but can play tough because it's right on the coast and has no protection from the wind. Penninsula is also a good choice. You may want to check into Craft Farms-36 holes and reasonable rates.

Keva Dunes and Peninsula are both bad ass. I think we paid at little more a Peninsula, maybe around $100? Been a while since I've been but it was one of the nicest courses I've ever played. Kiva Dunes was around $80ish two weeks ago. That's a nice place, windy as hell and a great course. Never have stayed at their resorts though, there's plenty to choose from on the beach.

If you're considering RTJ Trail, I'd play Grand National and bring a rifle. I saw 3 deer out on that course. It's a gorgeous place all joking aside.

Consider this while your down. Bring a scoop net, something with a long handle, an empty ice chest and a flash light. Me and my buddy went out to the beach the night before we left and caught a little more than 5 dozen blue crabs, good size females, no kites. They were everywhere in knee high water. We tried rigging up a makeshift trap but we didn't need to. Just walked around and snatched em up.

Have fun.

I need a golf course recommendation ... Gulf Shores, Alabama. I've never been.

Please take into consideration that I'm a poor person.

Having said that, know any good beachfront hotels? (family is picking up the tab on the hotel)

Thanks for your help.

When I lived in Gulf Shores I worked at The Peninsula. It was 27 holes at the time (I assume it still is) and was always in great condition. It wasn't a hard course, but not easy either. Kiva Dunes was also a nice course, but when the wind blows it is extremely difficult. My dad still lives there and when I go we always play Gulf Shores Country Club (I think it was renamed to GUlf Shores Golf Course but I'm not sure). They built a nice new clubhouse and redesigned some holes. It's a fairly short course and pretty easy, but you can still get in trouble on a few holes. It's not as upper class as the other two, but it's been in really good shape recently and it's fairly cheap.

joec

New
peninsula before kiva. there is a state course there that is cheap also. afternoon rates are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.