Need a Little Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all and let me say thank you to those who contribute to the forum! I have been playing for a little more than a year and have gained more quality information from this site and Brian's videos in the past three months than the previous nine I wasted elsewhere.

I need some feedback on my swing. I have a horrible block/push with a fade. It gets worse the longer the club. Recently I have hit my short irons pretty straight but with some fade. Even my pulls have some fade. I will hit the occasional slice but since I bought NSA that has decreased significantly. I own all of Brian's videos but just can't seem to implement the ideas correctly. I think there is something in my swing dynamics that is preventing me from doing so.

I purposely posted a bad swing (I don't have many good ones with the driver :( ) in hopes that my faults would be glaring. I am just looking for something to work on until I can get fixed when Brian makes a tour stop up here in the Northeast later this summer.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=6507

Last edited:
You still have some work to do on controlling the club face--it is pretty open into the down swing. Make sure you are doing the twistaway on the downswing too so the face squares up to impact. Do the "face on the movie screen" drill until you can consistently hit the ball straight

Where are you aiming? You look set up much too right. I would square you up at address to encourage a bit more early hip turn in the backswing.

Your clubface is fine. You have some big time alignment issues with your set up though.

Face on view would help too.

You also seem to be standing very close to the ball and with too narrow a stance for a driver, though the latter is hard to tell w/out a face on. Finally, you've got some popout going on in the takeaway--look at how you immediately take the club outside the target line at the start of the swing. Feel those hands work in a little more. A little more hip turn at start of backswing would probably help with that.

Where are you aiming? You look set up much too right. I would square you up at address to encourage a bit more early hip turn in the backswing.

Your clubface is fine. You have some big time alignment issues with your set up though.

It would help to know where he's aimed. From the camera angle, I would guess somewhere right of the white or red flags. If that is the case, the club face is too open, but if he can't start the ball close to where he wants to, then he needs more club face control. You may be right, but, it still looks to me like the club face is too open through the down swing--stop the video when the club is last parallel and take a look at the club face.

Last edited:
You still have some work to do on controlling the club face--it is pretty open into the down swing. Make sure you are doing the twistaway on the downswing too so the face squares up to impact. Do the "face on the movie screen" drill until you can consistently hit the ball straight

When I try to hold the twistaway and swivel to wedding ring up I tend to top the ball and squib it to the right. Sometimes I even take a divot (with the driver!) well out in front of the ball.

I will try to get the face on later today. I didn't go through my normal setup routine on that shot. I seem to have a habit of not doing that at the range.

You also seem to be standing very close to the ball and with too narrow a stance for a driver, though the latter is hard to tell w/out a face on. Finally, you've got some popout going on in the takeaway--look at how you immediately take the club outside the target line at the start of the swing. Feel those hands work in a little more. A little more hip turn at start of backswing would probably help with that.

I will work on that. I have been trying not to over rotate the LAFW (RAFW in my case) early in the backswing and have been failing to work around my left leg and up, ala SD.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Shoulders pretty open at address then it looks like a bit of a reverse upper body pivot. This makes you work back under it on the way down

i agree with reverse upper body and the shaft is too steep initiating the downswing. This causes you to "back up" and with an open face you are under AND open. Push slices...better turn in backswing and flatten transition.

footwedge

Alignment is way off to where you are intending to hit it. You can see you look at a target way left of where your taking your setup alignment, after that who knows what may happen in the actual swing.

Your swing is pretty darn good for only a year of playing.

Thanks for the responses. I know my alignment isn't the best but the crappy camera angle isn't helping. I'll try and get some better shots at the range today as well as work on the suggestions.

Got a face on today as well as a better aligned DTL with the driver. I tried to close my feet up and that seemed to help. The shots I posted actually went pretty straight.

Face on with Driver
SwingAcademy.com

DTL with Driver
SwingAcademy.com

One thing I am wondering is am I lifting my left foot too early in the downswing? I feel like my left hip/leg goes out at the ball. Would this hinder my swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.