Need help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m having trouble with my 3 wood . Cant get it in the air even on a tee. Also with the 5 wood on the ground.I do have an upswing swing I dont hit down much. Now my shaft is a regular shaft with I beive it to have a low kick point which I need. Its a callaway but to know what degree. I do hit my 7 wood really good and my 9wood. I guess the higher degree it s easier for me. I know I cant hit 13 deg. so basically what I`m asking is what club would be good for me that anyone knows of that would be good for a 3 wood...joe

Try moving the ball back gradually 1 ball width at a time. You will find the ball position that gives you the shot you want quickly.
Also, you can swing up with fairway woods but very slightly versus alot more with driver.
One more thing, don't lift up at impact, take easy swings at first focusing on staying down and through. Think down and through as you come into impact.
Even take 1/2 swings, down and through, then 3/4 swings down and through.

I`m having trouble with my 3 wood . Cant get it in the air even on a tee. Also with the 5 wood on the ground.I do have an upswing swing I dont hit down much. Now my shaft is a regular shaft with I beive it to have a low kick point which I need. Its a callaway but to know what degree. I do hit my 7 wood really good and my 9wood. I guess the higher degree it s easier for me. I know I cant hit 13 deg. so basically what I`m asking is what club would be good for me that anyone knows of that would be good for a 3 wood...joe

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
excellent advice from flapro, however i wouldn't move the ball an entire ball width, start with 1/2 ball widths.

people who usually can't get fairway woods up in the air (regardless of swing speed) either:

- play the ball too far foward
- always trying to "sweep" the ball consciously (instead of putting it in the right spot and just swinging normally and letting the "down" happen)
- Are swinging too far right and create a low point further back than where they have the ball positioned.

i've had similar problems. i hit it long and good off tee, but off deck its just thins and even the occasional top.

unfortuantely this tells me the throwaway has reared its ugly head and is back to plague my game once again

please someone tell me its my plane or something else but please, please, PLEASE let it not be throwaway!

all the irons and wedges are clean strikes with good, deep divots and lower ball flight. so either my plane is not great with the 3-wood or im trying to sweep it, or (horror of horrors) im timing the flip and not getting away with it when i try to hit a wood off ground

i've had similar problems. i hit it long and good off tee, but off deck its just thins and even the occasional top.

all the irons and wedges are clean strikes with good, deep divots and lower ball flight. so either my plane is not great with the 3-wood or im trying to sweep it, or (horror of horrors) im timing the flip and not getting away with it when i try to hit a wood off ground

I have another theory, pecky: not enough axis tilt.

If you are hitting your irons with deep divots, then that may mean that you are a bit steep, without enough axis tilt to let you hit down but still take shallow divots. You can get away with too little axis tilt off a tee, because you can swing up on the ball.

But wouldn't a 3 wood off the deck require more axis tilt than just about any other shot? You cannot get away with sweeping or swinging up (ball is on ground), but you also cannot get away with being too steep (club has so little loft).

Just a theory, but I wonder what you think of it?

I have another theory, pecky: not enough axis tilt.

If you are hitting your irons with deep divots, then that may mean that you are a bit steep, without enough axis tilt to let you hit down but still take shallow divots. You can get away with too little axis tilt off a tee, because you can swing up on the ball.

But wouldn't a 3 wood off the deck require more axis tilt than just about any other shot? You cannot get away with sweeping or swinging up (ball is on ground), but you also cannot get away with being too steep (club has so little loft).

Just a theory, but I wonder what you think of it?

hmmmm hadnt thought about that. could be. thing is, driver is going real good, so it might not be

Status
Not open for further replies.