Network Golf Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it hit a new low today. The coverage was taped, so they could have shown anything they wanted to, with mobile cameras. Instead they used fixed cameras on a few holes. Phil shot a course record 62 and they showed him for one hole, hitting two shots ! Instead we got to see things like Roger Maltbie playing a hole, Herb Kohler hitting shots, Charles Schwab hitting shots, pictures of the blimp, the leaderboard. It seems that in network coverage the least important thing is to show people actually hitting shots.

matt

New
In their defense, they did have to cover 3 different courses so they weren't necessarily going to be in position to show whoever's leading. They enjoy showing the celebs the first couple days though.

EdZ

New
That's fairly common for the ATT - as much as I would love to see all of Phil's round, the first rounds at ATT are all about 'entertainment' from the celebs. And if you were one of those celebs, you'd want to see 'you' on the TV. It is part of the attraction of the event, the marketing. I don't usually bother watching this one until Sunday anyway.

Ya that's true...I like to see what Bill Murray's gonna do each year.

Thought you meant they were showin' the "tour unknowns" instead.

They cover Pebble and the 18th at Spy glass on thurs because that is where the big celebs always start.

I too hate all the celeb coverage. To me the person that tunes into golf on thurs and fri on USA DON'T tune in to watch a Rich hack swing the club.

quote:Originally posted by wanole

I too hate all the celeb coverage. To me the person that tunes into golf on thurs and fri on USA DON'T tune in to watch a Rich hack swing the club.

:D

Then again it make you appreciate what you have, by way of Mr. Kelley, and they don't.

matt

New
Anybody else see that driver swing of Mickelson's that they showed on the SwingVision? When you watched the closeup of impact, you saw his descending clubhead strike the ball. Then, his clubhead moved even further down and almost struck the ground!

But no mention of this by the commentators.

quote:Originally posted by matt

Anybody else see that driver swing of Mickelson's that they showed on the SwingVision? When you watched the closeup of impact, you saw his descending clubhead strike the ball. Then, his clubhead moved even further down and almost struck the ground!

But no mention of this by the commentators.

I've said this about last years shots. They hit the ball towards the top of the face too. hard to do that on an acending path.

I don't know whether it was this week or last week , but when they showed that SwingVision view of Phil's driver at impact Bobby Clampett talked about "look how he delofts his driver at impact and really compresses the ball." Maybe it was last week at Phoenix--I'm getting old and these details are just one big blur. Whatever. Just waiting for the snow to melt. Dr Dave

They showed the SwingVision thing of Phil's driver swing again today. He does almost hit the ground after impact. As far as he is hitting the ball, if this doesn't convince people I don't know what will. Unfortunately DTV does not offer my local channels so I had no chance to Tivo it.

Status
Not open for further replies.