Never Ceases to Amaze Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
I like to think that I know everything that Brian knows about the golf swing and what makes it work. But, knowing all the information is still not 'the secret'.
My Wife's Uncle Joe came down from Jersey to visit my in-laws in Biloxi. The first day he arrived he stayed with us and was dying to play golf. It was too hot to play so I took him to the range (covered stalls). I worked with him for an hour and a half with some success but nothing exciting. I knew basically what the problem was but just couldn't seem to get it across to him. He was thrilled that I helped him but, I wasn't too happy with the results. He left our house and spent the next week in Ocean Springs, MS with my In-Laws.
I'm thinking about the lesson for the next couple of days and decide that I want to play golf with him (to make up for the 'lesson') on his last day here when he comes back to N.O. to catch his plane. I have an idea...I call Brian to see if he will be in N.O. the same day and just my luck he is flying in the day before and will be able to play 9 holes with us.
So, we're on the first tee, a short par 4, and Brian and I hit good tee shots in the green side bunker, while Uncle Joe hits a low slice off the tee to the right. About six swings later Uncle Joe makes it to the green. The next hole I ask Brian to take a look at his swing and tell me anything that I can do to help him. He watches from the cart as Joe hits it somewhat thin and 30 yards left of the green. I ask, "so, what do you see"? Brian says, "he may be moving off the ball too much I'd have to look at him from behind". The next hole, a par 3, I get Brian to come stand behind him an watch as Joe drop kicks it into the pond in front of the tee. Brain asks me to throw him a ball. He puts the ball down and messes with Joe's set up and position of his hands at address, then shows him how he wants him to make a back swing (the whole process took 30 seconds) he then tells Joe to hit it. The result was a dead solid shot 20 feet left of the pin. Brian asks for another ball, and says O.K. now put the ball here in your stance and do the same thing on the back swing. He flushes it right at the hole with a little draw (Joe sliced he ball his entire life) it ends up 10 feet behind the hole. As Brian walks off the tee he says to Joe, "you'll never have to worry about slicing it again". Joe hits every shot after that dead solid. Three hole later on a par 3 Joe hits it solid but pulls it left of the green. Brian gets another ball and has him aim to the right changes his ball position by moving the ball farther forward in his stance...Joe knocks the pin down.
So, Brian and I both agreed what was wrong with his swing. I worked with him for an hour and a half with some improvement. Brian worked with him for LESS THAN A MINUTE and changed his golf game.
Moral of the story...It's not only what you know but how you apply it. In my 26 years in golf (16 of them as a playing pro) I have never seen anyone who comes even close to commanding both as Brian does and he is improving it every day.

P.S. Michael Finney and I would be the first in line to bust Brian if we thought he was BSing or full of crap. But, when it comes to knowing golf and helping people Michael would agree Brian has no equal.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
His wife said he was so excited about going to play that he woke up 2 hours before his alarm went off. So you can imagine how happy he was after the round...he was bouncing around like a kid in a candy store.

I worked with him for an hour and a half with some improvement. Brian worked with him for LESS THAN A MINUTE and changed his golf game.
Moral of the story...It's not only what you know but how you apply it.

...and there you have it!

excellent kudos!

rwh

New
"Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher."

-- Japanese Proverb

That is awesome to hear, as I am having a lesson with the man on Sunday. My problem now is that I probably am going to be too excited to sleep the night before and have to get up at 5:30am that morning to get there on time. Small price, I know. Can't wait.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Brian is awesome, my 6 hours of instruction with him have been priceless.

I went to another TGM teacher this past spring because I couldn't get to Louisville. My weight shift on my pivot had gotten screwed up. What he couldn't fix, Brian saw in my first swing, fixed it and we moved on to other more game changing things.

mark

New
what was the pivotchange , hip slide delay ???

Brian is awesome, my 6 hours of instruction with him have been priceless.

I went to another TGM teacher this past spring because I couldn't get to Louisville. My weight shift on my pivot had gotten screwed up. What he couldn't fix, Brian saw in my first swing, fixed it and we moved on to other more game changing things.

what did he change#???????

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Adjustment

Not in any particular order:
1. Ball positon move well forward with all clubs, esp. driver

2. Stance aimed much further to the right, + closed with the driver

3. Right shoulder back (Shaq Style ;) ) with teh driver

4. Left shoulder slightly steeper on backswing

5. Lift the arms to more upright backswing

6. Suggested to just "hit it" from new backswing​
TOTAL TEACHING TIME: Less than 5 minutes

RESULTS: Priceless

Funniest thing about the day, was Tom asking me where a 'very technical' teacher would be with his uncle, as we were driving the cart to the green that the uncle had just hit two balls right at the pin.

MY ANSWER: Still confusing the student, no swings made.

Regarding #1.

So he can get to the inside-back?

Shaq?

Brian Manzella said:
Funniest thing about it the day, was Tom asking me where a any very technical teacher would be with his uncle as we were driving the cart to the first green that the uncle had hit two balls right at the pin.

MY ANSWER: Still confusing the student, no swings made.

I take it you stick mostly with 'whats' rather than 'hows' unless they want or need it? (which of course makes perfect sense)

How the PGA of America have not recognised your talents Brian is an utter disgrace. Like 4 barrels has said having Suzy Whaley do a piece at 2004 teaching summit while you sit from the stands makes it laughable.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
To be honest...

How the PGA of America have not recognised your talents Brian is an utter disgrace. Like 4 barrels has said having Suzy Whaley do a piece at 2004 teaching summit while you sit from the stands makes it laughable.

They have helped me a great deal.

Without trying, of course.

The next hole I ask Brian to take a look at his swing and tell me anything that I can do to help him. He watches from the cart as Joe hits it somewhat thin and 30 yards left of the green. I ask, "so, what do you see"? Brian says, "he may be moving off the ball too much I'd have to look at him from behind". The next hole, a par 3, I get Brian to come stand behind him an watch as Joe drop kicks it into the pond in front of the tee.

Brian or Tom, was he moving off the ball? If so I do this alot how can I fix it?/...joe (not uncle)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Devil was IN the details....

The next hole I ask Brian to take a look at his swing and tell me anything that I can do to help him. He watches from the cart as Joe hits it somewhat thin and 30 yards left of the green. I ask, "so, what do you see"? Brian says, "he may be moving off the ball too much I'd have to look at him from behind". The next hole, a par 3, I get Brian to come stand behind him an watch as Joe drop kicks it into the pond in front of the tee.

Brian or Tom, was he moving off the ball? If so I do this alot how can I fix it?/...joe (not uncle)

Left Chest DOWN more, arms UP more.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
what did he change#???????

No hip slide delay, just getting more weight off of my left side. I don't want you to think I had a reverse pivot, I didn't...I actually made a pretty good turn I just didn't turn and shift the weight into my right side, which made me have a really short backswing.

With my new pivot, I actually got past parallel on the backswing and had an easier time transitioning into "throwing the javelin".

The other TGM teacher I went to was quite good and I learned from him. I don't want to discredit him or anyone. Brian just puts me in better alignments "for me"

So, Brian and I both agreed what was wrong with his swing. I worked with him for an hour and a half with some improvement. Brian worked with him for LESS THAN A MINUTE and changed his golf game.
Alright, how much does Brian charge for 5 minutes. I probably will be able to afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.