Never Slice Again and Pitch Shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on my pitching lately to try and improve my direction and distance control from 100m and in.

Using a neutral grip, NSA style twistaway and wedding ring up i'm getting really solid contact but vicious hooks with a PW that start left and curve further left ending up 20m left of target. I have a 4x2 piece of pine outside of the ball to ensure that i'm not coming over the top.

Without the twistaway hitting them on target but not as much 'zip' off the clubface and just feels bad.... It doesn't feel like i'm 'flipping' but i think that i'm getting a bit of throwaway just before impact.

Is there a way of getting the best of both worlds? also this throwaway feel seems to be more isolated to pitching etc rather than with the driver which i'm hitting plenty solid and straight without NSA techniques.

PS have never sliced!

Thanks!

i've been thinking about and working on pitching quite a bit lately because it's winter here and the fairways are very soft and muddy. without good technique pitching seems to be the hardest part of the game at the moment. i think it has a lot to do with the lack of a need for clubhead speed and therefore a lack of lag. i've improved my distance control and accuracy a lot lately by putting some of the dynamics of longer shots into my pitching technique. one element is the creation of lag and i do that by adding a bit more zip to my backswing so that in the change of direction there's some inertia and so i get some lag to play with. without this, it's easy to pause at the top and swing down with a bad sequence and perhaps even get a bit of throwaway. basically, with some lag i get my hands nice and forward through the ball and with the lag my downswing is really smooth because i've got some power to play with and don't need to hit it hard.

Have you guys tried using different clubs to chip and pitch? I found it works reasonably well when you get the hang of it.

Here's the chipping and pitching advice I use:

The best golf chipping tip you can get is to practice by regularly using all of your chip clubs, from
mid-irons to wedges. Each requires its own setup and swing, and the only way to master all of these options is to get to the range and put them to work.

Jwat

New
I've been working on my pitching lately to try and improve my direction and distance control from 100m and in.

Using a neutral grip, NSA style twistaway and wedding ring up i'm getting really solid contact but vicious hooks with a PW that start left and curve further left ending up 20m left of target. I have a 4x2 piece of pine outside of the ball to ensure that i'm not coming over the top.

Without the twistaway hitting them on target but not as much 'zip' off the clubface and just feels bad.... It doesn't feel like i'm 'flipping' but i think that i'm getting a bit of throwaway just before impact.

Is there a way of getting the best of both worlds? also this throwaway feel seems to be more isolated to pitching etc rather than with the driver which i'm hitting plenty solid and straight without NSA techniques.

PS have never sliced!

Thanks!

Swing a little more to left field. I have had several lessons with Brian and we always work on short game and this is one of the keys with his pitch shot.

Also control your twistaway going back with the right wrist bend. If you focus solely on the left getting flat (or twisting the screwdriver) you can over cook it a little. You just need a little twist and the right wrist bend.

Good luck!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
generally you need more twist for less loft and also for more pivot. so, generally, i find people who want to use NSA for everything (including pitching) you just need to twist a whole lot less.

I have to say that my pitching improved enormously when I started pitching with almost a bunker shot technique (without the backward low point) obviously. but that may be just related to my own underplane/shut face issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.