New information about the release - implications for short game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've really benefitted from the new info about the release video and other back-up material that has been put up here in this site. The best improvements have been to the long game - particularly driving the ball.

Are there any points of view out there about what, if any, the implications of the new information about the release for chipping and pitching are?

For example, I have always tried really hard to lead the clubhead with the hands when chipping and pitching but struggle with hitting the ball heavy.

I am now starting to think a "lagless" short game (and wedge game) with a far more active use of the hands is the way to go. What a cupped wrist at impact?

That is an obvious example, but I am interested to hear other thoughts/insights on the issue of new info. about release and shorter clubs/swings.

Brendan,

If anything, new ideas about the release (the line up, letting the club pass your hands after impact) is MORE beneficial in the short game than anywhere else.

I am now starting to think a "lagless" short game (and wedge game) with a far more active use of the hands is the way to go
You are definitely on the right track.

The reason I think it's most important...it creates speed. That may be the single biggest difference between great and average short games is the player's ability to create speed. Pulling the handle won't do that, lettlng the club pass you will.

+1

It's nearly impossible to produce short shot spin without speed and loft, what you are referencing does both.

Brendan,

If anything, new ideas about the release (the line up, letting the club pass your hands after impact) is MORE beneficial in the short game than anywhere else.

You are definitely on the right track.

The reason I think it's most important...it creates speed. That may be the single biggest difference between great and average short games is the player's ability to create speed. Pulling the handle won't do that, lettlng the club pass you will.

So does Phil Mickelson create good speed with his "hinge and hold" technique?

Phil does not practice what he preaches, Todd.

If he did, he would lay the sod over most of his pitches like the people who bought his video.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
So does Phil Mickelson create good speed with his "hinge and hold" technique?

No he does, and he also cuts across the ball to add more loft/spin & also with his "one of the best all time short games" ability nips the ball almost perfectly which also aids in spin (ie thinning it slightly). However most of us aren't that good.

S

SteveT

Intuitive Guesswork ..??!!!

I've really benefitted from the new info about the release video and other back-up material that has been put up here in this site. The best improvements have been to the long game - particularly driving the ball.

Are there any points of view out there about what, if any, the implications of the new information about the release for chipping and pitching are?

For example, I have always tried really hard to lead the clubhead with the hands when chipping and pitching but struggle with hitting the ball heavy.

I am now starting to think a "lagless" short game (and wedge game) with a far more active use of the hands is the way to go. What a cupped wrist at impact?

That is an obvious example, but I am interested to hear other thoughts/insights on the issue of new info. about release and shorter clubs/swings.

To obtain a definitive explanation for your questions would require a determination of the Alpha-Beta-Gamma torques for each of the clubs and swing types. Without that information, it's only intuitive speculation.

Of course, somebody's best guess might just be the solution to achieving the desired results and subsequent "feeel". Go for it. :rolleyes:

What kind of distances would you recommend using a mid sole pitch. I remember you talking about it before Jim, but I can't remember the distances you referenced. I thought you said you like it for as far out as 80 or so yard shots.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
What kind of distances would you recommend using a mid sole pitch. I remember you talking about it before Jim, but I can't remember the distances you referenced. I thought you said you like it for as far out as 80 or so yard shots.

You can do it with anything, i've used it on 100 yard shots with a PW. Just experiment and see how far it goes for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.