New Mizuno Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of getting a new set of irons this year. I have had my original AP2's for 5 years now and love them, but they are pretty worn. I have always liked Mizuno irons so does anyone have any recommendations?

I play between a 5-6 and am not a fan of cavity backs.

All I can say I was anti-Ping for a bunch of decades. However, I simply love
my Ping S56's. The review over on GolfWRX, not me, pretty much exactly
describes my experience with these irons.

I play the MP-59 and really like them, but I could easily play the S56 or S55 irons and be just as happy. Hard to get a bad "players" iron these days.

Played some mp32's for a while when I wasn't very good and didn't really hit them like they should be hit. But, did wear a few of the clubs down pretty well. Then went to Ping s58 and now s56's. I'm happy with the Pings and don't think I will wear them out like the forged Mizunos.

You can probably get as many different opinions as you get replies on this topic. My favorite Mizuno is the MP 33. It's a golden oldie, but I really don't think they've made a better iron. They have a very soft feel. They don't have the short iron offset that some of the Mizunos have (e.g. the 29 and 14 models). They have traditional lofts, so you don't have to buy gap wedges that might not match your set.....and they're available on ebay at bargain prices compared to a new set.

I switched last year from old MP-32's to JPX-825Pro's and been very happy with them. MP-59 would have been nice too, but I liked the added forgiveness of 825Pro longer irons (playing off 5).
I'd recommend going for a fitting session to try different heads and even shafts.

Btw, I got mine from the factory with custom lofts and lie angles as well as progressive swing weights (1/3 SW point increments from 4 to P, most they were willing to do) at no extra cost. Not exactly MOI matching, but step in the right direction that's worked well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.