Nice quote from Mike Boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got sent this the other day from Mike Boyle, one of the most respected strength coaches in the world, and thought it summed up this place quite nicely.

"I think in my early 20′s I was a bit of a know-it-all.

In fact I’m sure of it.

As I aged I realized how little I knew. I think in our
twenties we are so sure of ourselves. We know everything.

We say things like “I know…”. Now I say “I think…”. The
funny part is as we get smarter we get criticized more.

I laugh all the time when people accuse me of constantly
changing my mind.

Just FYI, it’s called learning and it is found in things
like books and DVD’s and god forbid from real experiences
with real people.

I have switched from being a know-it-all to a learn-it-all.

I hope it never stops
"

"When I was 14, my father was ignorant; by the time I turned 21, I was surprised what the old man had learned in 7 years". Mark Twain.

Got sent this the other day from Mike Boyle, one of the most respected strength coaches in the world, and thought it summed up this place quite nicely.

"I think in my early 20′s I was a bit of a know-it-all.

In fact I’m sure of it.

As I aged I realized how little I knew. I think in our
twenties we are so sure of ourselves. We know everything.

We say things like “I know…”. Now I say “I think…”. The
funny part is as we get smarter we get criticized more.

I laugh all the time when people accuse me of constantly
changing my mind.

Just FYI, it’s called learning and it is found in things
like books and DVD’s and god forbid from real experiences
with real people.

I have switched from being a know-it-all to a learn-it-all.

I hope it never stops
"

"When the facts change I change. What do you do sir?"

... A. Einstein

When the facts change I change. What do you do sir?"

This is a topic worthy of discussion in golf and beyond. It's the same attitude with which many view the world and the variety of phenomena in it. Learning is a life long endeavor and it takes passion for your area of interest and hard work to stay on top of it. So many bury their heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge truth regardless of the abundant evidence of it. So we rely on the Copernicus types who are not afraid to speak truth to power regardless of the marginalization of their work. As a teacher of 30+ years, the temptation to crawl under a rock and spend time reaffirming my old beliefs is great; but something tells me to be ever vigilant of new scientific info and apply it to my work whenever I can. Dc

Funnily enough, when I was in my teens and twenties I thought I knew little, but in fact knew quite a lot. I listened to the voices of those older than me thinking the may well be the voices of wisdom. But, as the old German saying goes, Alter schützt vor Torheit nicht.

OK, there's no substitute for experience but there's no fool like an old fool, and there's plenty of them. And they are more dangerous than young fools IMO.

Let's hear it for the future of our planet, our youth. They ain't as dumb as you think. And that's from an old fart. If I need advice I often ask my son (16) what he thinks and I'm amazed at his balanced views.

Status
Not open for further replies.