No video just a question for Manzella Instructors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son will be seven this year and we are starting to work a little on his swing, he has been swinging a club since he could walk...What do you do to solve the problem of both arms collapsing on the backswing? Is it simply a lack of strength? Because you see a lot of woman with the same issue. I have always just let him swing away with no instruction but he is starting to get to the age where we can start to work a little on the swing.

I'd love to hear the answer to this as well. My 7 years old has this same issue and he is a skinny kid (unlike his dad). Could it just be not strong enough yet? My 3 year old on the other hand does not have this issue and the kid pounds it hockey style.

Does he have youth clubs? My son will sometimes fold his right arm too much which bends the left a bit but I don't think it's because of weight. I believe in his mind it makes for a bigger swing. I just tell him to maintain his width and have him swing with his right arm a few times. IDK, it works for him.

Yes he has youth clubs, he has 3 different sets as he keeps growing, his current set may be a tinge on the long side but he is definitely two big for the smaller size.

Erik_K

New
Strength and maybe a little coordination. He's trying his best with the physical skills he has. I've noticed the same thing when little kids are hitting the ball.

Do his arms straighten back out halfway down?
They do straighten back out for the most part but he hits a lot of tops and worm burners...I guess I am trying to figure out what if any type of coaching to do with him and at what age I should be doing it at.

They do straighten back out for the most part but he hits a lot of tops and worm burners...I guess I am trying to figure out what if any type of coaching to do with him and at what age I should be doing it at.

for starters you could

try crushing the can drill, ala back and forth drill

Step off the target foot to crush the can under the trail foot then crush the can under the target foot to start the downswing.

You could use a squeaky toy instead of a can.

for starters you could

try crushing the can drill, ala back and forth drill

Step off the target foot to crush the can under the trail foot then crush the can under the target foot to start the downswing.

You could use a squeaky toy instead of a can.

Thanks Matt for the drill, I am taking both boys to the course today and will make a game out of that drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.