Not taking a divot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit it. I've played golf for 32 years and can probably count on both hands the times that I've taken a proper divot. It just drives my crazy. Any advice for a frustrated 'skuller' would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Kevin

Where do you play the ball with your irons? Is your swing flat or upright? Do you normally get center of face hits? If not, where?

Where do you play the ball with your irons? Is your swing flat or upright? Do you normally get center of face hits? If not, where?

I swing more flat than upright. I'm 5 foot 11 tall. I play the ball forward all the time. I don't adjust ball position. That probably the major problem but it's a bad habit to break.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The flat might be keeping the face open, so to avoid sawing off every shot you might semi flip it square and avoid a divot.

Steepen shoulder turn and turn the face to the ball sooner?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You have to start with the ball in a reasonable locate at address.

Now, here is your problem as I see it:

You have your right shoulder TOO FAR BACK at impact.

To get a sense for where it needs to be, stick an alignment stick in the ground where the club needs to be at impact. Set up without a club and make a faux-swing and make a pivot that presents your hands to the stick in a direct fashion.

This will show you where your right shoulder needs to be at impact, and might fix your problem all be itself.

To get a sense for where it needs to be, stick an alignment stick in the ground where the club needs to be at impact. Set up without a club and make a faux-swing and make a pivot that presents your hands to the stick in a direct fashion.

This will show you where your right shoulder needs to be at impact, and might fix your problem all be itself.

I'm really digging this.

You have to start with the ball in a reasonable locate at address.

Now, here is your problem as I see it:

You have your right shoulder TOO FAR BACK at impact.

Uh, a heck of of lot lower than I ever imagined. Thanks Brian. You schooled me on divots around 8 years ago in Louisville. I should have taken heed.

Status
Not open for further replies.