Notes from The PGA Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
No question about it. My point wasnt to discredit your observation, more to point out how good these guys are at scoring. If there are people on this forum that arent swing junkies and really want to get better, there are alot of things to look at other than pure swing mechanics.

Dariusz J.

No question about it. My point wasnt to discredit your observation, more to point out how good these guys are at scoring. If there are people on this forum that arent swing junkies and really want to get better, there are alot of things to look at other than pure swing mechanics.

This is a very wise point. People on golf fora often mix scoring with mechanics and are almost abused when one calls that e.g. a great winner's swing sucks. There are great biomechanical swings that produce lesser scores than expected as well as there are poor ones that produce great results. People should just understand that great biomechanics is just like creating an opportunity, a better starting point for a golfer to score better. But it will never guarantee great scoring on a pro level, however, it may help vividly to fulfill Hogan's dream for a weekend hacker though.

Cheers

ZAP

New

Just like I told you after my lesson with you. It was the mental and strategy stuff we talked about that made the biggest difference for me. I think I can get a couple of shots out of better planning sometimes. And I am not a good range player at all. My mind wanders and I get bored.

I wish I could get to this point.

I am obsessed with swing mechanics. Since my last lesson with Brian I haven't even managed to play 18 holes. I spend hours on the range trying to re-capture how well I hit it while I was in New Orleans and that magic I had has slowly slipped away. It always happens to me. After a lesson with Brian I hit it good for a while, then it starts to slip away again. It's like my old swing is so ingrained that it always wins the battle of wills. The harder I work the more frustrated I get. Then the ONLY thing I focus on is my swing mechanics and "playing golf" gets forgotten.

I'm a bit of a mental case I suppose. But man, I'd like to get back to just playing for a score instead of always looking for a perfect swing.

Has anyone seen this young player Noh in person or high speed camera? I've only seen full speed on TV over past year, but it looks very good. He is paired with Phil today. He's only 20

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I wish I could get to this point.

I am obsessed with swing mechanics. Since my last lesson with Brian I haven't even managed to play 18 holes. I spend hours on the range trying to re-capture how well I hit it while I was in New Orleans and that magic I had has slowly slipped away. It always happens to me. After a lesson with Brian I hit it good for a while, then it starts to slip away again. It's like my old swing is so ingrained that it always wins the battle of wills. The harder I work the more frustrated I get. Then the ONLY thing I focus on is my swing mechanics and "playing golf" gets forgotten.

I'm a bit of a mental case I suppose. But man, I'd like to get back to just playing for a score instead of always looking for a perfect swing.

Then just out and PLAY...not hard. Seems simple enough but it really is, that is all i do now a days. I go play and then work on something on the range that i had trouble with in the round and then go play again. I've figured out that you will never had "your swing" all the time. You'll have to grind to find it and then when you do play a lot of golf and enjoy and when it goes away again grind you way back. All you can do.

Then just out and PLAY...not hard. Seems simple enough but it really is, that is all i do now a days. I go play and then work on something on the range that i had trouble with in the round and then go play again. I've figured out that you will never had "your swing" all the time. You'll have to grind to find it and then when you do play a lot of golf and enjoy and when it goes away again grind you way back. All you can do.

Oh...I know Jim...

I should just go play. But there's a weird deal going on in my head. I'm almost afraid to go play right now. I've got this thing running in my twisted little head that if I play badly, I'm going to quit again. If I just stay on the range I'm safe. I can hit it bad on the range because there's no real consequences. Just drag another ball over, take a few practice swings trying to recreate whatever feeling I think I had in New Orleans, try to adjust something or the other, hit the ball and see what happens. Rinse...repeat. Hour after hour. No real fear of failure because I can rationalize that once I get home and look at the video, I'll see something that I'm doing wrong.....and tomorrow......I'll work on that.

It's a real endless loop that I've fallen into. I had even entered the State Mid-Am and then withdrew because I knew I wouldn't have the guts to go play.

The mind is a bizarre thing sometimes.

You're going to screw yourself over unless you get your ace off the range and PLAY golf. Could you go a month without hitting balls once?

Otto, sorry to hear all of this but you're definately in pretty deep.

First off.....my apologies for derailing Jared's really good thread. I should have kept my problems to myself.

That said....

Yep.....I'm sort of screwed. I took Jim's advice and went and played after I posted.

Lost 6 balls in 5 holes. Both left and right. Pretty much quit before I had a stroke. I lived Tiger's first round at the PGA, minus the first three holes.

I'm thinking I need to take some time off again. No need to torture myself.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
First off.....my apologies for derailing Jared's really good thread. I should have kept my problems to myself.

That said....

Yep.....I'm sort of screwed. I took Jim's advice and went and played after I posted.

Lost 6 balls in 5 holes. Both left and right. Pretty much quit before I had a stroke. I lived Tiger's first round at the PGA, minus the first three holes.

I'm thinking I need to take some time off again. No need to torture myself.

Honestly, what would time away do? I doubt it would make you change. You have to quit permanently or learn to enjoy hitting different shots and having fun playing.

There is no perfect swing
You are feeling very sleepy
Its only a game

Honestly, what would time away do? I doubt it would make you change. You have to quit permanently or learn to enjoy hitting different shots and having fun playing.

You are feeling very sleepy
Its only a game

I was digging your point 'till you said " it's only a game ". That incorrect, " it's the ONLY GAME ".

Otto really? The type of experience you're having totally comes from trying to make perfect swings or hitting a shot shape your swing cannot produce. If you're really trying to play golf, then look yourself in the mirror and accept the realities of your golf swing. I mean no disrespect, but you're obviously capable and know plenty.

Last edited:
I'm with you dschultz. Otto, just keep playing and leave the range alone for a while. 9 holes, 18 holes, hell, even 2 or 3 holes. Buy a few boxes of Top Flites or something until you start getting comfortable on the course again.

Good advice johnny. Costco, Top Flites, about 75 cents a ball. Hit it off the globe? No problem. Drop another and play on. Tell other players that under no circumstances should they look for your jailbirds. Pressure free fun courtesy of Top Flite.

Drew

Erik_K

New
Some great golf!

Of the Four Majors this year...has this been the most exciting one to watch?

I think this year's PGA was what we were hoping for at Congressional - a very tough course with a tight finish.

Erik

Hey Otto,

What kind of scores would you be happy shooting? Play forward tees...try to eliminate foul balls. A par is par, right? When I feel like I am pressing my game because my competitive scores or rounds from the tips are are not to my satisfaction I often play from the front tees (and I have even played from the gal tees!) For some reason it gets me grinning again. I go back to the tips swinging a lot more freely. I tell people my low round is 61 (I leave the part out that the course was playing 5600 yards!) I tell hopeful juniors to play the course so that they are putting for birdie as much as possible. Most people bite off more than they can chew and hate the process while doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.