Nothing like a short/tight county course to boost your ego...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Here's the course i played today: Forest Preserve Golf - Cook County, Illinois - Managed by Billy Casper Golf - The Course

I have a soft spot for it because i grew up playing it and learning to play. It's short and if you're a big hitter you should be greenside on most of the shorter par 4's and the par 5's are just long par 4's. I like going here because the land is small, fairways are tight, and some of the greens are REALLY small. So i always feel like if i can shoot a really low number here when i go to a "normal" course everything seems HUGE. Always felt there was this mental effect on my confidence level. The other thing it does is it forces you to MAKE BIRDIES, lots o' them! With the shorter par 4's there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to drive it far, chip it close and make some easy birdie putts. Again it's also a confidence booster too, you can used to allowing yourself to "go low" (whatever that # is for you).

With people talking about tournaments coming up i would always recommend someone going to a course like this, it isn't just an ego boost but also a mental boost because even if it's short and easy, you still have to:

1) drive it well
2) chip/pitch it close
3) putt it in

If you can do the 3 above, you'll end up pretty well even on a harder longer course.

PS

I'll upload a couple pics later but their is a 500 yard par 5 at this course that is the hardest par 5 i've played anywhere; really.

So true, Jim. I grew up playing a similar course and in our club there were so many good golfers. I've often wondered how the heck there could have been so many guy playing close to scratch golf when no one ever had any instruction. I think it had to do with what you describe above. No sheet, we had about 20 guys playing off 4 and less (even had a 2 Walker Cup players).

Just shows that a course doesnt have to be long to be difficult. Wish some of todays course designers would realise that. My course is only 6300 yards but nobody rips it up

Status
Not open for further replies.