NSA and "Manzella Neutral" grip

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad shot of the last few years has been a hook, and I've worked on various fixes with various amounts of success.

As a back to basics strategy, I looked into Never Slice Again to try and relearn some clubface control and stamp out any tendency to flip-hook it.

First thing up, for me, was the Manzella Neutral grip which is substantially weaker than what I've used previously - typically around 3 knuckles. I thought that maybe my stronger grip was masking some swing flaws and that it would be a good thing if I could learn to hit hooks or draws with such a weak grip, and then go from there.

The good news, and I really like the material in the video, is that I am consistently hitting the ball right to left with the weakest grip of my life.

The bad news is that my hands and shoulders ache.

I think I've traced the pain in my left index finger to the last joint being so much farther round rather than under the shaft that my right hand is squashing the knuckle. Sore - but an interlocking grip will take care of that I think.

I've also had stiff and sore shoulders now for a few weeks of practice. I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think that the torque to the club needed to square or close the face with such a weak grip is putting a strain on my arms and shoulders.

So I'd really like to understand what my options are for combining a stronger grip with a watered down NSA swing. I feel like I've got the twistaway pretty down, and that I can hold the twist into the downswing and get through to wedding ring up. So I've got something to go to if I start losing balls right.

I'm really curious though as to the logic for NSA being based around such a weak grip.

Is a stronger grip compatible with the other NSA components?

Am I better just moving over to Soft Draw - which is based around a stronger grip anyway?

Has anyone else had shoulder pain working on NSA moves?

I know Brian has said in the past that NSA works better with the Neutral grip and that Soft Draw works better with a slightly stronger (I think he calls it "orthodox" in the video) grip. I'd love to understand the reasons behind these compatibilities a bit better.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The weak grip for NSA is because of the amount of "twist" in the backswing and we want you to learn clubface rotation; too easy to fake it with a strong grip.

Try keeping the same weaker left hand grip and just make the right hand a big stronger, see if that helps.

Thanks Jim.

I guess I understand that the weak grip forces you to consciously rotate the clubshaft about itself. I certainly learnt some new "feels" doing that. I'm curious though why you call it faking it when you use a stronger grip - unless you find that students slip into using a different kind of hand action, rather than just less rotation. Is that the case?

I'll give the stronger right hand grip a try. Is the idea just to make the twistaway less of a muscular strain?

Thanks again

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The point of the weaker grip and NSA is for your body to learn SOME type of rotation instead of a flip; it's too easy to develop a flippy motion with a stronger grip and think you are not. Using that weak of a grip and learning to draw it doing it that does nothing but put good habits into your game. Most people at some point will move to a slightly stronger grip and limit rotation but won't go back to flipping.

Thanks again Jim

That makes a ton of sense. I don't think the weaker grip is for me in the longer term - but learning to use it has been a really useful experience, and one that I could see myself going back to again in the future if I feel in need of a refresher.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks again Jim

That makes a ton of sense. I don't think the weaker grip is for me in the longer term - but learning to use it has been a really useful experience, and one that I could see myself going back to again in the future if I feel in need of a refresher.

This is what a lot of people do BUT you can also play with NSA as an everyday pattern "as is" if you choose to do so. I did for a long time and go back to it every once in a while.

oldpro

New
Thanks again Jim

Easiet thing going for a good player like yourself...it'll give you the ability to rip it, hit it higher and straighter. Piece of cake for you!! Start hitting a bunch of 8 irons...if I know your set correctly remember the flatness graduates from long irons to short irons..long irons need not be as flat as you have them set...I'm betting your short irons are perfect as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.