NSA and my buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy has been trying to learn golf for about a year and a half now. I kind of let him go on his own journey trying to figure out what he could on his own. I tried to get him started on playing because he told me he wants to break 100 by the end of the year. The last few sessions and times playing were pretty horrendous. I grew tired of seeing him try to swing a wide open clubface through the ball. He is your typical OTT cupped wrist toe down at the top hang back slicer. He had never hit a right to left, ever.

About a week ago I showed my buddy the NSA video. He only got through the twistaway and the tilt before he wanted to start wacking balls. A few days ago he calls me up and tells me "That Manzeelan guy is a genius! Oh my god, twistaway is so amazing!" He told me he actually hit a draw and even got a shot to hook. I couldn't really believe it, but that's how I fixed my slice, so I guess it was possible. Never seen this kid hit a real crisp shot, but maybe...

Today we went to the range at my home course. He proceeded to hit shots like I have never ever seen him hit before. I could hear the compression, and the ball flight was actually penetrating and going for some distance. Every club. He still struggles a little with his driver, but the ball is fading and flying 225 rather than the weak cut across 160 yard banana crap he was used to hitting.

I decide to give him a little playing lesson because he is anxious to establish a handicap and start playing tournaments. His mental game sucks...well... He proceeded to par the first hole, a 500 yard par 5, both shots down the middle, with a wedge in for 3, hitting a green in regulation, and having a tap in for par. He had never GIR'd or parred a par 5 in his life. We are standing on the par 3 5th, he is 5 over. He stuffs his shot 3 feet from the pin and kicks it in for birdie. The second birdie in his life. We finish the 9 holes and I ask him what he shot. He 3 putted the last hole (GIR par 5) for 45.

On behalf of my buddy, I would like to thank you, Brian, for being able to produce such an outstanding video that absolutely works. He couldn't crack an egg and in a week he's out here giving me goosebumps. Just watching his genuine satisfaction on the road to great golf and never slicing again puts a huge smile on my face.

Last edited:

Erik_K

New
This post is total BS as it doesn't contain the minumum 5 references to: the kinetic chain, 3D image capturing, doppler radar, Hogan, the all important hip/pelvis complex, etc.

How dare you comment on how to fix the face and the almost immediate (positive) results it can have on the typical OTT slicer? You got some balls.

Seriously.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
My buddy has been trying to learn golf for about a year and a half now. I kind of let him go on his own journey trying to figure out what he could on his own. I tried to get him started on playing because he told me he wants to break 100 by the end of the year. The last few sessions and times playing were pretty horrendous. I grew tired of seeing him try to swing a wide open clubface through the ball. He is your typical OTT cupped wrist toe down at the top hang back slicer. He had never hit a right to left, ever.

About a week ago I showed my buddy the NSA video. He only got through the twistaway and the tilt before he wanted to start wacking balls. A few days ago he calls me up and tells me "That Manzeelan guy is a genius! Oh my god, twistaway is so amazing!" He told me he actually hit a draw and even got a shot to hook. I couldn't really believe it, but that's how I fixed my slice, so I guess it was possible. Never seen this kid hit a real crisp shot, but maybe...

Today we went to the range at my home course. He proceeded to hit shots like I have never ever seen him hit before. I could hear the compression, and the ball flight was actually penetrating and going for some distance. Every club. He still struggles a little with his driver, but the ball is fading and flying 225 rather than the weak cut across 160 yard banana crap he was used to hitting.

I decide to give him a little playing lesson because he is anxious to establish a handicap and start playing tournaments. His mental game sucks...well... He proceeded to par the first hole, a 500 yard par 5, both shots down the middle, with a wedge in for 3, hitting a green in regulation, and having a tap in for par. He had never GIR'd or parred a par 5 in his life. We are standing on the par 3 5th, he is 5 over. He stuffs his shot 3 feet from the pin and kicks it in for birdie. The second birdie in his life. We finish the 9 holes and I ask him what he shot. He 3 putted the last hole (GIR par 5) for 45.

On behalf of my buddy, I would like to thank you, Brian, for being able to produce such an outstanding video that absolutely works. He couldn't crack an egg and in a week he's out here giving me goosebumps. Just watching his genuine satisfaction on the road to great golf and never slicing again puts a huge smile on my face.

Awesome, when people learn NSA and still struggle a bit with the driver i find the following (no particular order):

1) They don't hold their tilt through impact and/or don't setup with enough (bad setup)
2) They don't hold the "twist" enough on the downswing
3) Ball isn't forward enough
4) Linked to 1) above, their path isn't right enough

Try those.

Awesome, when people learn NSA and still struggle a bit with the driver i find the following (no particular order):

1) They don't hold their tilt through impact and/or don't setup with enough (bad setup)

Try those.

Can you explain (1)?

The ball is far forward enough for him. It looks like he's losing tilt and trying to hit it with his unwind. Definitely not keeping the twist intact and letting it rip open. I'm just giving him more time. He's just so happy he can actually start playing golf and not "hit and pray"

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Can you explain (1)?

to expand on what kevin said, essentially through impact you should have some spine tilt away from the target so your shoulder/arms can deliver the club into the ball on a good path. When you lose that tilt it drastically steepens the path and brings it much more left than you want. Essentially you need the most tilt with the driver and the least with a wedge. These are some of the reasons why it's so easy to hit a wedge and harder to hit a driver; among others but spinal tilt is a big one.

Erik_K

New
^ To echo what Jim said about point #1 - set up with a wedge and then set up with a driver. For those OTT slicers who lack tilt, or lose any tilt they had, often the problems can be seen at the address position. You should be able to feel a pronounced difference between the wedge and driver and this due to INTENT. You want a path that's a bit more inside-out with the driver and also a way to facilitate a level or slightly upward strike. Counter this with a wedge setup - the feet are more narrow, there's less tilt, and you are going to be aiming left, and swinging left for a straight shot.

Try those.

Awesome advice Jim, spot on! This was a problem of mine and only with woods, especially driver. The fix was side tilt at setup, keep that side tilt all the way until impact feeling like club & bowtie line up behind the ball, including my head with ball forward as you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.