Ok, I'm gonna finally take the plunge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this site (in a 400 lb manly sort of way...). How does a serious downhill lie help unlearn a high hands/low club? Also, in trying to neutralize my grip, I found that it's easier to do with my hands a little lower at setup; this also seems to make it a little tougher to flip. Would lower hands ad address also help untrain the high hands/low club thing?

In what order should I implement these and other changes (neutral grip, flatter swing, "lefter" path through the ball)? Would it be ok to try to make it all work at the same time? And should I start with pitches and chips, or easy full swings?

And would driver off the deck be a good drill for me?

Last edited:
downhill lie

In order to hit balls on a downhill lie, you MUST keep the club head above your hands LONGER. To swing "down the slope" the hands go down but the club stays UP. If the hands go high and the club head drops UNDER, CRASH!!! Ask Kevin Shields. He spent 4/5 hours hitting balls on that lie one day and shot 61 the next day!!! But he's a very accomplished player. In your case, I would first get some shape to the swing on the sidehill first. Get rid of the straight line and we coulld steepen the impact later...

In order to hit balls on a downhill lie, you MUST keep the club head above your hands LONGER. To swing "down the slope" the hands go down but the club stays UP. If the hands go high and the club head drops UNDER, CRASH!!! Ask Kevin Shields. He spent 4/5 hours hitting balls on that lie one day and shot 61 the next day!!! But he's a very accomplished player. In your case, I would first get some shape to the swing on the sidehill first. Get rid of the straight line and we coulld steepen the impact later...

Makes sense. Thanks alot DC. I have some range time coming up. I'll work on this stuff and post an update.

So, try to feel like I'm fading it?

Wanna hear something funny? That's not even my "kill it" swing.
On second thought, maybe that's just sad...

YES. you know that you have to do a few things different to fade it and when you do them you hit it pretty straight. Its when you don't try to fade it that you go after it with more snap through impact and it gives your swing the potential (the way it appears to me) to produce some hooking ball flight.

There are a ton of players who love to (try to) kill the ball. I know how to I but find it pointless (and reckless), unless it's a tee shot where I can't miss the fairway. Distance control is SOOO much more important than power for a player like yourself when you've got an iron in your hands.
Pin high baby.

Can you post a video of the fades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaN7XypIkqo

Here's a driver from Friday. I couldn't actually hit from a sidehill lie, but I could make dry swings from one, and tried to replicate the feel. I was hitting cuts all day. Do I need to be rounder still? It looks to me like I do, but I don't exactly have a trained eye :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq3K9Cb9MAE

This is a dry swing I took today, trying something different (I know; not a real swing without a ball. I'm just trying to get an idea regarding the feels). Is this closer to the shape I should be going for?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.