Only 22 Americans in match play field!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a game of Dodge Ball?

robic-1_zpscda69cd3.jpg

jimmyt

New
I think that's a pretty good % of American players in the field.....its over 30%. Number would be higher if not for injuries.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin, you are closer than most of it to it. What has happened to American golf talent the last 10 years.

Over coached, over complacent, don't win enough to learn to close, etc are all things I've heard but as soon as a few young guys win a major that perception changes. I'm not sure there is a problem with American golf. It's a global game and lots of talent out there. IMO we need more Bubba and Fowler like talent instead of AJGA robots.

IMO we need more Bubba and Fowler like talent instead of AJGA robots.

Why is it that the people with real understanding never end up in positions of influence and that these ruling bodies are invariably run by monkey boys?

Is it that in order to understand something better/fully, or to take something to the next level, you have to be an outsider, an individualist, a loner, a revolutionary and as such be shunned by the dumb ass conformists who are in the majority?

ZAP

New
Trying to do things like everyone else just makes you closer to average. I know the best young players around here play in a bunch of junior golf events all summer long. They seem to spend so much time trying to keep their game manageable that they never truly are able to evaluate their game. As long as they are shooting numbers so as not to embarrass themselves they are happy.

Not really sure what the fix is. All I can say is that when we wanted to get better at basketball as youngsters we went to a park where big kids or adults were playing and got our butts kicked for a couple of hours.

It is not easy. I played a game called 'strikeout' growing up. Just a tennis ball, a bat, a wall and two people: pitcher and hitter. You got to throw/pitch and hit all day long. Many more throwing and hitting reps than the best run baseball practice. I was good enough to beat all the older guys but throwing full-out and throwing curves with that tennis ball took its toll. I had a great arm until it blew out. Like with all things there is balance and that is where a good coach comes into the picture. He/she has to know when to back off and let the kids play (and encourage them to go play and not just practice fundamentals). The folks on this site seem to understand that. I'm not so sure all the golf instructors do.

Status
Not open for further replies.