Only hooking teed-up 3 irons

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my final few rounds, I was playing a nice little fade, and was hitting the ball good for me (gave up on Bubba golf; way too hard :) ). It was working through the bag, and my driver became my best and absolute favorite club. I would hit it with confidence anywhere, no matter how tight it was. But there were 2 holes where I was too long to hit it; the fairway ran out. So I'd hit 3 iron off the tee. And I was hooking it. Hitting it good, high and far, but hitting hooks. I didn't hook it off the deck, and didn't hook any other clubs, not like this (my normal miss was a pull, maybe sometimes with a little tail to the left, but these 3 irons were soaring benders). I don't tee my irons up that high, just enough so that it's like a good fairway lie. I'm at a loss; why just this club? It would be nice to be rewarded for playing "smart", even if it's only because the hole forced me into it. 3 iron used to be my favorite tee-off club, but if the season had lasted any longer for me, it would have been left in the bag. Any ideas?

hp12c

New
Bigwill you stated u didnt hook the 3 iron off the deck, only off the tee when its teed up. Something in your motion, set up is a little different from a teed up 3 iron to an off the deck 3 iron. Dont tee the 3 iron on the tee and see what happens.

Is the club bent? Is the lie angle up, shaft too soft? When its one club only could be the club...

I don't know if it's bent; if you mean bent closed, it could be. But I generally set up with the face open to the target;would that offset it?

I'm not sure about the lie angle either. If it is, then it isn't by a bunch; I don't like to see the toe up, (probably the result of playing my "formative years" with clubs that were too flat). As for the shaft, could be softer than the rest I suppose; all of my iron shafts are probably a flex too soft. Maybe this one's softer still.

Bigwill you stated u didnt hook the 3 iron off the deck, only off the tee when its teed up. Something in your motion, set up is a little different from a teed up 3 iron to an off the deck 3 iron. Dont tee the 3 iron on the tee and see what happens.

I thought about doing that. Maybe I should have stopped thinking and just done it then. But I tee the ball so low with the irons (I mean, tee all the way in the ground), that I'm not sure the tee height was enough to make that big a difference. I'll try that next time.

Last edited:
Are you hitting up on the ball with a square to target stance?

I'd be surprised if I was. Like I said above, I tee the ball really low with my irons; you can't see the head of the tee when the ball's on it. And I was hitting the ball pretty solid, as opposed to thin, so I don't think I'm hitting up on it. I could be wrong, though.

I do like to play the ball a little more forward, with all my stuff. I could see that accounting for pulls. It could also cause the big hooks?

No the path is more out to in with ball forward so it won't hook from forward but can pull.

hp12c

New
I thought about doing that. Maybe I should have stopped thinking and just done it then. But I tee the ball so low with the irons (I mean, tee all the way in the ground), that I'm not sure the tee height was enough to make that big a difference. I'll try that next time.
I think its more mental. You know, knowing there is no tee under the ball. At least it is for me, eventhough I sometimes dont tee the ball for some irons and I kinda tee the ball real low too. Just knowing ther is no tee under there makes me concentrate/focus more.

ej20

New
I never tee up an iron.There is a tee under there but that is to give me the peace of mind of a perfect lie and slight forgiveness if hit a bit heavy.The ball is as good as lying level on the turf.I like to trap the ball and hit irons low.If the ball is up in the air,it discourages that.You tend hit up like a driver and maybe swing a little more right which could cause a hook.

I never tee up an iron.There is a tee under there but that is to give me the peace of mind of a perfect lie and slight forgiveness if hit a bit heavy.The ball is as good as lying level on the turf.I like to trap the ball and hit irons low.If the ball is up in the air,it discourages that.You tend hit up like a driver and maybe swing a little more right which could cause a hook.

I am the same way EJ. For whatever reason, the minute I tee up an iron, oddly enough I hit it fat! I know it makes no sense, and I am sure it's pyschological - but its real for me!

For the life of me I could never understand how anyone can tee up an iron. It's top of the blade every time for me.

Yeah, either that (probably the only thing I have even remotely in common with your game...), or fat like BIGBALL. A lot of times, I'll find the broken top of a tee and shove that back in the ground to use with my irons. No point in wasting a good tee when all I need is the top.

The seniors league again (55 and up). It is almost universal for players of say, over 14 handicap. They tee it up in excess of flush to the ground, try to sweep it, hit it several grooves up, and short.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
For the life of me I could never understand how anyone can tee up an iron. It's top of the blade every time for me.

I've experimented with hitting "up" slightly with my irons off the tee to get some extra distance if i need it like say 3 iron fairway finder. I got the idea from you in an old post.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I've experimented with hitting "up" slightly with my irons off the tee to get some extra distance if i need it like say 3 iron fairway finder. I got the idea from you in an old post.

You're right, thats the only time I do it but it's reserved for really straight faced clubs. But a 9 iron??

Status
Not open for further replies.