Opinions on Putters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help here. What are some of your guys opinions on long and/or belly putters. I just finished an Adams Golf Event here in Louisiana and for the first time in my life I just had as many putts as I hit shots. :eek: In rainy and very windy conditions, I turned one of my best ball striking rounds ever (Thanks BM) into a 76. So I am heading to the golf shop tomorrow and need advice on what to buy. I am using a mallet style head now and I am open to anything. I am leaning toward a belly model. What have you guys had sucess with? Thanks in advance for the input.

Ah, a 76 with 38 putts...I've been there! In college I once shot 77 with 42 putts!!

I spent 9 months last year with the belly putter. The key to the belly putter is that you MUST get it FIT properly. It needs to be the proper length and proper lie, otherwise it is going to make things much, much worse. In the end, I went back to a standard putter, in part because of a putting lesson with Brian in which he taught me a putting stroke that seemed to go against everything I'd been doing for 25 years. But I think the belly putter taught me a LOT about the stroke and made me a better putter overall.

Suggestion: Before moving to the longer putters...

If you currently use a face-balanced putter, try switching to a toe-hang putter.

If you currently use a toe hang putter, try switching to a face-balanced putter.

Sometimes, just a change in feel will help you regain your stroke. That and a positive attitude and the belief that you are a great putter will mysteriously help the ball fall into the hole. :)

puttmaster, fronesis, richie, curtis

Thanks for all of the advice and talking me off of the cliff. All makes sense. I was thinking that a long putter would help me on the shorter putts (I missed 9 today from 5 feet and in and another 4 from 8-10 feet). I guess I need to go get fitted and maybe see the little Italian from the parish.

and maybe change my moniker :)

Last edited:
Hmmm... So Drawer McBomb would be a better name for myself then??

Back on topic, putters are a very personal thing, but they are often seen as an unimportant addition to the bag, or a fashion accessory rather than possibly the MOST important stick to get right.
My personal experience is that getting a putter fit to ME and MY putting style by a clubmaker has contributed greatly to reducing my putts to the point where if I 3 putt once or twice a month I'm pissed!!!

My putter is SHORT, in fact my playing buddies accused me of stealing my sons putter when they first saw it, but it fits me and suits my style, and one of them now has a very similar putter, but fit to him.

See a clubmaker, try everything in sight, if something "works" for you get it!!

I must confess to never considering the issue of face balanced versus a toe hang putter.
I have always preferred mallet putters, which are for the most part face balanced. Played last two years with a "Yes" Mallet head. I forget the name. I am a good putter with a smooth stroke so really not trying to find the magic bullet cure.

I bought a Cameron Red X (Mallet) last December. I have played with it maybe 3 times. It has toe hang. There is a big difference in feel and technique required.

2 weeks ago I was at meeting for our golf league. The host had a putting target in his basement. He uses a Rife Long Putter with great success. I really liked the feel. Felt like I couldn't miss on shorter putts. So I have ordered the same putter. Still waiting for it to arrive, so we will soon see how it works on a real green.

I'd suggest getting hooked up to a SAM Puttlab first. I'm actually betting that your putting stroke will be better than you think. But the SAM Puttlab will at least provide some answers for you as to what's going on with your putting stroke. And you could have a really good stroke with some minor flaws that it could point out.

Then from there I would really learn how to read greens and get a consistent touch/speed.

The Edel Putters are so good because they align the putter square to the target for you at address because essentially there's so many combinations of putter heads and hosels they use that they get one that fits YOUR eye. Essentially, they are 'selling alignment.' I plan on getting fit for one this summer, making a 6 hour trip in order to get it done. Brian talks very favorably of them.

Plus, they also have vari-loft technology so you can change the loft of the putter depending on the type of greens you're playing.

Really cool stuff.

3JACK

There are quite a few SAM puttlabs out there. Atlanta alone has 2 of them. However, the Edel Putter fitters are fewer and I'll have to go to North Carolina to get one. SAM Puttlabs' locator is pretty poor. There's actually more than they say. There's about 10 SAM Puttlabs in Texas and a bunch in Florida and most of the major golf states have them.

3JACK

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Putting is all about confidence and getting the ball to start on the line that you want. Try everything until you find something that does it for you

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Putting is all about confidence and getting the ball to start on the line that you want. Try everything until you find something that does it for you

Sorry Jim, I disagree with that...Imagine if you said that about ball striking. How do you get confident? How do you know if the ball is starting on the intended line? Is distance control irrelevant? Green reading?

I imagine that you're a very good putter, which ..... does not mean that everybody is as capable.

For the original question, finding the right putter is important, and if you can get fitted by someone who knows what they're doing, then that should help. From there, you need to address the relevant skills and seek feedback on each skill individually, and ultimately as a series of skills that enable you to make more putts.

Why don't you video your putting stroke; down the line and face on hitting a dead striaght putt, im sure someone could give you good advice.

I concur, Damon.

Right now I'm a pretty decent putter. When I played professionally I was a very good putter. I was and still am extremely confident in my putting for the most part. Put it this way, I not only look forward to putting, but I also honestly feel that there's not a putt that I cannot possibly make.

That being said and while I'm a good putter in general, I can't hold a candle to Tiger's putting. Or Phil's putting or even Vijay's putting from last year. Do I think they are more confident that I am? I honestly do not see how. But are they better at reading greens, have a more consistent touch and more consistent alignment? I would be willing to bet on that.

I wish putting was as simple as Jim makes it sound. It's not *that* difficult either and I think usually I find golfers doing just that...making it sound like it's easier than it really is or harder than it really is.

3JACK

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Confidence is a subject I'd like to hear Brian's take on...
He IS confident, but more importantly, he is aware of his confidence, others' perception of his confidence, and the reasons for his confidence.

So how does one go about acquiring it, maintaining it, and increasing it?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Sorry Jim, I disagree with that...Imagine if you said that about ball striking. How do you get confident?

By using clubs that you can hit well and don't mind looking down at.

How do you know if the ball is starting on the intended line?

Umm...you practice

Is distance control irrelevant? Green reading?

Of course not, but it doesn't matter if you aren't using a putter you don't like or can't get it to start on the line you want.

I imagine that you're a very good putter, which ..... does not mean that everybody is as capable.

You are correct, however i have improved everyone's putting who has asked for a lesson however i find it sad how little people ask for them since it's usually the best way we as instructors can lower their score.

I think confidence is huge, for all parts of the game. When I'm hot, I don't think about anything. I'm confident and I just focus on the target and swing. But when I'm not hitting/putting the ball well I start thinking about how to fix the problem. Trying to keep this straight and rotate that and bend this. That's not confidence.

I'm not saying it's everything but I am saying it's HUGE. The late "future" and I had an argument about this some time ago. Looks like I got the last word. :)

I think Ritchie3jack touched on a major issue for weekend/club golfers, we read greens so poorly. I'd bet that as many (if not more) putts are missed through misreads as poor strokes at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.