Optimal Numbers for Smash Factor/Accuracy Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

What is your though regarding the relationship between angle of attack and inside path with smash factor/ball speed/total distance. Had a fellow the other day with outside-in path of 4 degrees with and upward strike of 6 degrees with a 7 iron. His smash factor was a paltry 1.15 After 30 minutes we had him 3 degrees inside path with a 4 degree downward angle of attack and his smash factor improved to 1.35 and distance jumped 22 yards from 123 to 145 yards.

My question is at what point, do you feel that increasing smash factor/distance becomes detrimental to accuracy/trajectory at some point by increasing downward angle of attack and corresponding inside path relationship? ? 6 down and 6 inside like Kenny Perry a bad thing? 9 down and 5 inside like Charles Howll III?

Thank you:confused:

ggsjpc

New
i think there is a big difference between optimizing distance vs. desired ball flight. most high swing speed players hit down on their drives because they already have enough ball speed to be competitive. Each device measures stuff in an effort to optimize distance.

it's up to the operator and the student to optimize ball flight.

maybe it's derek...

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I kind of subscribe to the following:

1) Is the ball going where it should go?
2) Is it going the distance you need it to go based on your swing speed?

Since we are discussing 2) above; i would say with the average golf and today's loft he should be hitting his 7 iron around 150 even 160 if they are a stronger player. That is plenty of distance to play good golf.

I kind of subscribe to the following:

1) Is the ball going where it should go?
2) Is it going the distance you need it to go based on your swing speed?

Since we are discussing 2) above; i would say with the average golf and today's loft he should be hitting his 7 iron around 150 even 160 if they are a stronger player. That is plenty of distance to play good golf.

What would you say that 7 iron distance be in order to be competitive in top-level amateur golf?

What would you say that 7 iron distance be in order to be competitive in top-level amateur golf?

I'm not Jim, obviously....but it seems to me that if one is talking about "top-level amateur golf" then it's not a question of how far one hits the short irons. A scratch golfer who plays competitively in amateur events might hit a 7 iron 175 or he he might hit it 145, depending on the shot, the conditions, and what type of player he is.

The real question is how far he can carry a long iron and other long clubs. I feel like a player who can carry a 4 iron over 200 yards is not going to be severely limited in playing capacity by distance. I've played matches against top scratch golfers who didn't hit their 7 iron more than 155, but could hit a 4 wood off the ground and carry it 235 - those players were good.

I've also seen a lot of amateurs work (and want) to hit their 8 irons 155 or 160 because they thought that made them "long," but they couldn't hit a 3 wood more than 200 yards in the air and basically couldn't hit any irons longer than a 6 iron.

I'm not Jim, obviously....but it seems to me that if one is talking about "top-level amateur golf" then it's not a question of how far one hits the short irons. A scratch golfer who plays competitively in amateur events might hit a 7 iron 175 or he he might hit it 145, depending on the shot, the conditions, and what type of player he is.

The real question is how far he can carry a long iron and other long clubs. I feel like a player who can carry a 4 iron over 200 yards is not going to be severely limited in playing capacity by distance. I've played matches against top scratch golfers who didn't hit their 7 iron more than 155, but could hit a 4 wood off the ground and carry it 235 - those players were good.

I've also seen a lot of amateurs work (and want) to hit their 8 irons 155 or 160 because they thought that made them "long," but they couldn't hit a 3 wood more than 200 yards in the air and basically couldn't hit any irons longer than a 6 iron.

Hmm...Fronesis. Why do you think this is? Hit an 8iron plenty long, but can't get a 3-wood in the air worth poop? Thanks for the reply, very interesting. Angle of attack is my best guess?

Hmm...Fronesis. Why do you think this is? Hit an 8iron plenty long, but can't get a 3-wood in the air worth poop? Thanks for the reply, very interesting. Angle of attack is my best guess?

Sounds like you're delofting your clubs too much?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
My Hero is the ZERO!

Brian,

What is your though regarding the relationship between angle of attack and inside path with smash factor/ball speed/total distance. Had a fellow the other day with outside-in path of 4 degrees with and upward strike of 6 degrees with a 7 iron. His smash factor was a paltry 1.15 After 30 minutes we had him 3 degrees inside path with a 4 degree downward angle of attack and his smash factor improved to 1.35 and distance jumped 22 yards from 123 to 145 yards.

My question is at what point, do you feel that increasing smash factor/distance becomes detrimental to accuracy/trajectory at some point by increasing downward angle of attack and corresponding inside path relationship? ? 6 down and 6 inside like Kenny Perry a bad thing? 9 down and 5 inside like Charles Howell III?

OK...

Your golfer was 4° out + 6° up with a 7-iron...

Was he hitting it off of a tee?????:eek:

So....

You made him get to 3° in + 4° down (I am assuming decent clubfaces).

His "smash factor" got better.

But...

If he would be 0° + 4° down, it have been better as well.

I say, unless the golfer "sees" the golf course a certain way—like Kenny "right aim, right-to-left" Perry—zero'em out.

Thanks. The gentleman in question was wondering why all his irons were thin. LOL! If we zero him out, I am assuming he will have to aim left due to downward strike?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

If you can carry a 7 iron 160 yards yes you can play top level amateur golf; it's just how accurate can you be? Even on tour the "big hitters" at the most carry their 7 irons about 170-175 and we are talking the big big hitters. Look at David Toms; i bet his average carry with a 7 iron is 165ish

Cope

New
If you can carry a 7 iron 160 yards yes you can play top level amateur golf; it's just how accurate can you be? Even on tour the "big hitters" at the most carry their 7 irons about 170-175 and we are talking the big big hitters. Look at David Toms; i bet his average carry with a 7 iron is 165ish

Bubba can hit his 7 iron 200 plus. Most would be in the 170-5 range.

Toms is a tapper. Rich, successful, super player......tapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.