Optimising launch conditions for a fade with a driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I want to hit a fade with my driver and also want to optimise the launch conditions, hitting up on the ball, would you recommend that I stand sufficiently open to the target line to be able to swing to the right of my stance line with the face the appropriate amount open to the path of the clubhead but still closed to the target to be able to achieve my goal?

It seems to me that if I stand square to my target line and want to hit a fade that ends at the target, I'm more than likely going to have to hit down on the ball and swing left thus failing to optimise the launch conditions.

ZAP

New
Since you are hitting up on it I would think aiming and swinging where you want the ball to start should basically work.

Brian posted something a while back about his fade tee shot while still hitting up.

Do a search and you will probably find it.

It depends on how much up you are hitting the ball. When you take into account the D-plane, depending on how much you hit up on the ball, you may actually have to aim slightly right thus moving the swing path right (with a sqaure face to the target) to hit a small fade because if you didn't move the path right you would slice it off the fairway. If you aren't hitting up much, however, you can aim straight (with a sqaure face) and the upwards hit will produce the fade for you....

Obviously because you are fading the ball you will have to adjust all of this left because otherwise the ball would finish to the right of your intended target.

This is my understanding of the d-plane when hitting up... please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I was thinking that maybe a Lee Trevino type fade would be more likely to optimise launch conditions, aim far enough left to be able to swing right and yet keep the ball on the target rather than an Arnold Palmer swing across the left leg type fade from a squarer stance.

Here's my thought process:

I want to hit up and hit a fade into my target. So, I know that my clubface has to be slightly open to my path, and my face slightly closed to my target. Since I want to hit upwards to achieve this, my plane needs to be right of where I want my path.

This leaves me with a horizontal plane that's relatively AT the target, with a face that's slightly closed to that (but open to its resultant path), and I am swinging enough upwards to turn that plane into a leftwards path.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
i think trying to optimize a fade is an oxymoron imo. Fades are designed, imo, to be higher hitting higher spinning shots and thus a safer and generally shorter shot. You might as well just try to hit the draw or a straightish shot

S

SteveT

FELLAS !!!!!!! .... If you are going to invoke the D-plane for your ball flight analysis, you should also include reference to the tilt of the ball spin axis ... otherwise all you are talking about is the club path and normal vector ... and making allusions to the dynamic loft.

Declaring a draw or fade is not adequate ... you must state the tilt of the spin axis too.

Please be complete in your analysis, otherwise you are causing others to make assumptions on your behalf ... and that creates confusion ... ;)

I have found my thought process to be adequate enough to go out and play with; without worrying about the specifics of dynamic loft and spin axes. I just follow the simple guideline of "face = 1/2 * path, and it seems to be easily applicable on the golf course. In the end, that's what many people are after; useable (adequate) info.

If you're looking for more behind-the-scenes info, then you can go that route as well, and more power to you.

On another note SteveT, congrats on making a post that did not include a reference to your obsession with obesity...

Status
Not open for further replies.