Over rotation early, then across the line

Status
Not open for further replies.
What problems can arise from this? I've noticed a lot of good younger players do this. When I'm struggling, I tend to do it as well.

The left arm will over rotate about 3/4 back and the shaft will point outside the plane line. But instead of continuing to a laid off position, the club reroutes across the line.

Any thoughts?

You are tracing an inside-out planeline in the backswing.

If you overrotated the left arm early and was laid off at the top, you would go from tracing an inside-out planeline early in the backswing to an outside-in planeline at the top. This doesn't feel very "on-plane", so you rotate that left arm back at the top to trace that same inside-out planeline you started your backswing on.

What problems might this cause? I think swinging too far right might be the biggest one.

ej20

New
What problems can arise from this? I've noticed a lot of good younger players do this. When I'm struggling, I tend to do it as well.

The left arm will over rotate about 3/4 back and the shaft will point outside the plane line. But instead of continuing to a laid off position, the club reroutes across the line.

Any thoughts?

You have just described the backswing of most hackers.The main problem would be coming down OTT(shoulder plane) and will need to "swing right" to compensate.

The talented ones can compensate(reroute yet again coming down) and play good golf.You can't legislate against genius.

IMHO

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

Any thoughts?

IMO instead of trying to fix it just go with it; there's nothing wrong with being a bit across the line it is 10000000000000000000% better than laid off imo. Just aim a bit right and swing a bit right and play a pretty draw all day.

JRJ

New
This is my swing and I agree with Jim - just play with it. I tend to be steep and slightly over the top because of it but I can play that way. I"ve been told by just about everyone to bend the right wrist back and don't let it cock - if you're slicing it then buy NSA and really work on that FLW. However, if you take a lesson with Brian (as I did) he'll probably tell you that as long as you can square it up your fine and will likely hit it better (and far) with some toe hang/across the line at the top (e.g., John Daly).

Last edited:
IMO instead of trying to fix it just go with it; there's nothing wrong with being a bit across the line it is 10000000000000000000% better than laid off imo. Just aim a bit right and swing a bit right and play a pretty draw all day.

But what about when it gets too much across?

My wife gets sometimes 30° or more across when shaft is horizontal and the results are typically:
- weak pushes (irons)
- shots of the toe
- topped shots (contact last low point)
When she does not get too much across, she typically hits a nice high draw.

I'd like to find something simple for her to fix it when it starts to happen during a round (she hates driving range practice).

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jake, essentially she needs less of a flying elbow. This should get the club less across the line. Work with her on not letting it fly so much.

Jake, essentially she needs less of a flying elbow. This should get the club less across the line. Work with her on not letting it fly so much.

Thanks Jim. That's kind of what I've done quite successfully anytime the problem has become severe enough that she's been willing to hit at least some practice shots me watching (she has to be pretty desperate before she asks for my advise).

JRJ's comment got me thinking that maybe right wrist bent back & palm up ("holding a tray") at the top might be a though that would help her to retain that.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Most likely it will just more likely have her across the line and more shut, the elbow flying/tucking generally has more effect o the club laying off or going across the line.

Thanks for the response Jim.

I know that slightly across the line is a good position and definitely more desirable than being laid off. I was just wondering how much it mattered if someone over rotated early if they weren't over rotated at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.