Perfectionism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Brian,

How do you deal with perfectionists?
Do you give them more latitude? Encourage that trait? Channel it somewhere?

How about yourself? To be the best, you would want to know what everybody else knows, and then some. When is enough enough? Are there aspects of teaching, and playing, that accomodate the perfectionist within, and other aspects that are best steered clear of?

Can you cite some instances? Define this subject matter?

Cheers mate,
D

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Perfectionist, Obsessive Complusive, and more...

I am all of the above, and, to be honest, it wears me out.

I had enough golf TALENT to be a pretty decent player, but I was always trying to play the perfect round.

I may work for Annika, but it sent me to the scrap heap.

I certainly have much MORE teaching talent, and I do have a hunger to be the best, although, it looks like it will never happen sometimes.

At PGA Summits, I just feel like SCREAMING: "Hey, you idiots, I could fix that guy in 6 balls!!!!!!"

But, on a lighter note, lesson takers that are perfectionist are kinda tricky. There are the ones who are perfectionist AND WILL "Do IT Right." and there are the David Toms' of the world.

It is a real fine line, and they are all different, so, I don't have a "Magic Pill," but:

If they are "Do It Right-ers" give them it ALL, and I man all.

If they are like DT, fix 'em and run.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Perfectionists

Thanks Brian,

Is there a concept where if you take it to the limit, it would help people(everybody)?
Like allignment perhaps?
How perfect?

Your time is coming, mate.

What does DT do?

I'm a perfectionist too. I'll be as good as I can at golf eventually.....however long it takes.

I am all of the above, and, to be honest, it wears me out.

I had enough golf TALENT to be a pretty decent player, but I was always trying to play the perfect round.

I may work for Annika, but it sent me to the scrap heap.

Brian....explain. (if you want)

I guess this is how you got into teaching eh? Learn about the swing to PLAY....didn't work out.....then..."Hey! I know a lot now.....I'll teach." Prolly like a lot of ppl. Although you know much more than most.

I'm guessing DT doesn't like a lot of changes?

(side note: is that an RFP? or a STT up the plane like Jack, Tiger 2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.