PGA CHAMPIONSHIP (just got back home)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP Hazeltine National Golf Club

Noticed a lot of new stuff regarding prep for this championship. They generally do not play the actual hole, but put fake cups or tees down on the greens, also I swear there was a couple caddies using a slope device on the greens and marking them. Some pros hit lots of putts, others didnt. The course is not on a large property, lots of holes are side by side (by side). Players will likely here biffys closing on the hole 4 (along with a generater for the American Express Tent. Fairways are cut side to side (not length). Course has lots of ups and downs, not really a flat hole that I can remember. Weather was 94 degrees. My adventure started at 315am (3 hrs trip). Spent around 10 hrs hovering around all the holes I could, weaving back and forth depending who was out there. Amazing how high all the tee balls where, way way up in the air. Amazed the pros are not as big as they appear on tv. Course looks good, greens are fast, but holding. With all the tv towers and tents, just eye soars. 16th hole has a plaque dedicated for Payne Stewart (next to the bridge). 2016 Ryder Cup will be there as well, after the PGA they are ripping up all the greens (prob cause they get soft too easy). Par 5s are super long (minus #7)

Players seen
Tiger Woods- only saw him on the range, hit only 20 shots and hung out with the Nike Crowd, Hank was there blocking my pictures……grrrr
Ben Crane- one of the last to tee off , playing with him and caddie(prob cause hes slow). Seemed nice gave autographs and almost hit his drive into Rory Sabatini…..he cut in front fair game
Tim Clark- looked defeated in the face, prob suffering from the 2 shot penalty last week, didn’t really watch more than a shot, kind of a true SD1 pattern.
Robert Allenby- rock solid long game, looks like something new with his putting.
Stuart Appleby- saw him on the chipping green, he needs the short game video, tough to watch
Brett Quigly- not the best golfer, on a mini flop shot he shanked it……I feel so much better
Corey Pavin- not a very good driver (short doesn’t help). Best short game, hits the softest chips in the rough and fwy.
Davis Love III – game looks rock solid, nice high SDs, only a little taller than Pavin….hmmm
John Daly- great outfit, game is horrible, signs autographs and drops them on the ground
Sean O’hair- very quiet, long hitter, looks like a wimp. Putter was a tad poor, hittin them left. He started on the range, played the back nine, then back on the range…….gotta like the workhorse!
Steve Sticker and Jerry Kelly – WI players in MN, what?? Lol Stricker rock solid, Jerry appears to have a putter, used to seeing the twitching, not today
David Toms – saw him on 7, 8, 9…….7th par 5 his wedge found the water, then almost the second, not very confident to pitch shots it appears, 8th hole Par3, pushed it into the water……2nd try was on the green………hopefully he will figure it out. Very short hitter, played with Cink……..60 yds ahead.
Rory McIlrory- seems like a fun kid, lil cocky, hes young, saw him on #13, what a beast of a par3, hit a high cut 3 wood to the hole, lol his player partner hit a tree 50 yds from the tee……looks like a solid player.
Phil Mickelson, Fred Couples and Dustin Johnson played together, Phil hit 3 woods on the 3 holes I saw him, driver issues? Dustin is crazy long. Not sure longer than Bubba, but likely nicer (Bubba kind of not a nice guy)
Luke Donald- best short game (sand chips putting), not sure if the course is too long for him
Ian Poulter and Johan Edfors played together, Ian was pretty rock solid 3-7, good all around game, MN women there were HOT! Just not smart, they thought Edfors was Camilo Villegas…….wow.
Henrick Stenson- same as Ian, pretty rock solid, lots of pulling in his swing, moves to the right side before swing………..FYI Fanny could kick any guys ass……
Anthony Kim- sooooo small, swings hard as anyone, had a tough time in the MN rough chunked 2 layups on #7. Also seems to be fighting his swing, missing left and right….bad combo.
Lucas Glover- just hitting one ball after another on the range, right next to Boo Weekly, he hits a ball every 3 minutes then you can tell he has chew and lots of storys

Ok I will have more Thursday, Im beat........................

Last edited:
It's not original or even sexy, but...GO TIGER.:)<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://secsportschat.com/?tracker=3759"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://secsportschat.com/?tracker=3759" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Yeah, I would like to see him win one this year. Its brings a little excitment to watch him chase Jack's record

dknc

New
AK

Thanks for the report suns, can't believe you didn't mention the smokeshow AK brought with him this week. Yowza

Europeans all gave autographs and talked with the crowd, us players more reserved. Looked like all the Nike staff had their own area on the range, Anthony Kim had his own entourage of friends with (bumping shoulders, heard his gf was with him on the Tuesday round holding hands….cute). Took pictures of all the holes and got video of the good and the bad. Most interesting on was a drill Sean Ohairs instructor was doing, maybe a Manzella staffer can explain, will place it on youtube….

lol she was there Tuesday.............any of the women in the ropes were outstanding! Glad it was a hot day, think i lost 10 pounds...
JeffS

lol she was there Tuesday.............any of the women in the ropes were outstanding! Glad it was a hot day, think i lost 10 pounds...
JeffS

My wife always jokes she is what is holding me back from being a pga player but of course I tell her she is better looking than them all!

Davis Love III – game looks rock solid, nice high SDs, only a little taller than Pavin….hmmm

Of all of the good information presented, this one caught my eye. I thought Love was over 6 feet tall???

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoG9qpAxFjU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoG9qpAxFjU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Any ideas?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoG9qpAxFjU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoG9qpAxFjU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Any ideas?

Helping him get his hips open more? Not sure.

dknc

New
Looks like he's pulling his knee left to keep some weight on the left side at the top rather than letting it kick in to load the right leg.

SJO

New
I wouldn't read too much into a practice round situation like that. David Toms hitting a pitch in the water means nothing and he will have forgotten it by the time he gets to the green. Most Tour pros will ignore their quality of play in a practice round and think about the course.

Noticed a lot of new stuff regarding prep for this championship. They generally do not play the actual hole, but put fake cups or tees down on the greens, also I swear there was a couple caddies using a slope device on the greens and marking them.

They use fake cups and then use the Exelys Breakmaster to get an idea of the amount of slope and where the putts are breaking. Then they roll golf balls to the fake cup so they can get an idea of how they are rolling. They may be doing some new things with AimPoint technology, but I'm guessing that's what you were seeing.

3JACK

btp

New
Here are my observations from Monday and Wednesday.

The 3 hours Adam Scott spent on the practice green must not have worked. Looked like his stroke was solid, must be lack of confidence.

Cabrera has some soft hands and was really rolling it.

Tiger hit a couple of short putts and held the finish for about a minute. Looked like he was releasing the toe a bunch.

A lot of guys moving and peaking a lot when putting.

D Toms looked like he was trying a seemore for a while then switched back to something else.

Lots of tall guys 6'1 to 6'3

Pavin going old school with the bullseye

Watched Sergio try some balls out with the driver and trackman. He tees it lower than I thought he would and just kills it.

Watched Phil hit some bunker shots. Pretty standard, ball almost centered in stance.

Allenby couldn't make anything practicing, but put together a nice round today.

What happened to Michael Campbell's swing. He's hitting a big cut with the irons.

Heard it costs 4 million to get your products inside the ropes for a full season.

Anthony Kim's friend was very distracting. I don't think she would need a flotation device if she fell out of a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.