Phil off the cart path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A big difference is that through the years a top player will notice that pitch shots off a fluffy mat will go shorter than off a tight mat. They'll file that away because they think on another level. The rank amateur will either not notice, question the shit out of it, futilely try to get the distance the same, or not trust it later when the situation arises on the course. In other words, have one more opportunity to improve that slips away.

A big difference is that through the years a top player will notice that pitch shots off a fluffy mat will go shorter than off a tight mat. They'll file that away because they think on another level. The rank amateur will either not notice, question the shit out of it, futilely try to get the distance the same, or not trust it later when the situation arises on the course. In other words, have one more opportunity to improve that slips away.

Ahhh, that's a trick statement - the rank/internet amateur would never practice off any sort of mat, and definitely not off concrete. You don't buy $400 "tour van" wedges off ebay to hit recovery shots with. You take the "new club" free drop within 5 club lengths of the path, and then make sure everyone knows you haven't had time to adjust to the new grooves after you burn one peter high across the green.

I admit that I was surprised to hear Phil say that his wedge actually hit the cart path before it hit the ball. Amazing!

Who's the guy? Stan Utley discussing bounce demonstrates hitting his 58 degree wedge with a lot of bounce off of a parking lot with no problem.

One of my friends was so awestruck by this shot. He got mad when I told him chipping/pitching off the cartpath isn't that big of a deal. I tried to explain to him if you can hit little wedge shots on the putting green without taking a divot you can hit it off the path. Today when we play he is demanding I hit a shot off the path. I hope I don't choke :rolleyes:

One of my friends was so awestruck by this shot. He got mad when I told him chipping/pitching off the cartpath isn't that big of a deal. I tried to explain to him if you can hit little wedge shots on the putting green without taking a divot you can hit it off the path. Today when we play he is demanding I hit a shot off the path. I hope I don't choke :rolleyes:

Make sure you borrow his wedge to do it. ;)

jimmyt

New
Phil, used the same serious tone when describing his near ace today.

He is starting to crack me up!:cool:

Looking forward to hearing about the outcome of this! Hoping to hear, "see, I told you bro, ain't nothing to it!"

Is Phil correct that the club actually hits the cart path before it hits the ball?

Yes, off the cart path you would want to be shallow and not steep, if for no other reason than the health of your wrists. What possible danger can you imagine coming from staying shallow and letting the bounce ride the path a little bit before the ball?

Is Phil correct that the club actually hits the cart path before it hits the ball?

If you watch the slow motion video closely, at 1:00 you can see the club clearly strike the path first. You can even see the mark on the cart path where his club hits in the close up before that.

If you watch the slow motion video closely, at 1:00 you can see the club clearly strike the path first. You can even see the mark on the cart path where his club hits in the close up before that.

Sorry, should have asked if dschultz6072 tries to intentionally hit the cart path first. Curious what his methodology is.

Status
Not open for further replies.