Physical training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides working on our golf swings, does anyone do another type of physical training specifically for the golf swing? I used to think that flexibility was more important than strength in the golf swing, but after reading that thread on handle rotation, I think I should try to build strength.

Obviously overall fitness is important, but if there was one area (speed, strength, flexibility, etc.) to focus on, what would it be for more clubhead speed and overall better swing?

I think there are a couple of different ways to get club head. My forearms are weak, I have very little lag, but I get the ball out there a long ways. I've been told I have a lot of arm swing and a lot of toss. But I have noticed, working out off and on the past few years, that I gain about 10-15 yards off the tee and just about a half club with my irons when I'm working out three or four times a week

i don't have that much time after work and would like it if my fitness regime went hand in hand with golf. I was trying to figure out if yoga or kettlebell training would be better for a golf swing..

hp12c

New
Besides working on our golf swings, does anyone do another type of physical training specifically for the golf swing? I used to think that flexibility was more important than strength in the golf swing, but after reading that thread on handle rotation, I think I should try to build strength.

Obviously overall fitness is important, but if there was one area (speed, strength, flexibility, etc.) to focus on, what would it be for more clubhead speed and overall better swing?

I kettel bells, indian clubs and I have 2 heavy pipes 1 35inches and 1 40 inches which I use in slow real slow swings like Im in slow motion from take away to follow tthrough.

natep

New
i don't have that much time after work and would like it if my fitness regime went hand in hand with golf. I was trying to figure out if yoga or kettlebell training would be better for a golf swing..

There really isnt a clear answer, it depends heavily upon the individual and what kind of shape he/she is in. I think a lot of people would likely get more benefit from yoga (if it they made substantial gains in flexibility) than they would from weight training.

I cringe anytime I read about someone wanting to work on golf specific exercises.

I know tons and tons of stuff about physical training from personal study and experience. I'm not a physical trainer or anything like that but I have a background in the stuff that would top most "certified" trainers that work out of local gyms. In my opinion trying to follow or develop a golf specific fitness program is a wast of time and can actually lead to a decrease in performance. If you want evidence look at the training that is done by athletes in other sports. Basketball players don't follow programs that are basketball specific. They follow programs that develop overall strength and endurance and movement in all directions.

Most of your really good athletes in any sport were also really good in other sports. I believe this is true because it develops a balanced athlete and they learn to move their bodies in any direction not just the directions needed for their primary sport. This has been proven over and over again by people a lot smarter than I am.

I'm experiencing really, really good results working with a program that stresses overall improvement in strength, athletic development, and movement. I've also started some mobility work that shows a lot of promise. I didn't develop either of the programs and I'm not affiliated with them in anyway. It's free for anyone to follow but it's very difficult if you have no background in physical movement. I'm not comfortable posting the link here because this isn't my website and neither is the one that post the workouts. If you want to find it do a search for cross training and you'll get pretty close. If you want specifics you can PM and I'll give you the links to the two programs I'm following.

I'm also not going to be so bold as to say what I'm doing is the best programming on earth but it's the best I've found so far. The key is balancing improvements in strength, movement, and endurance.

It would be a very good idea to work with a trainer for a little while that can at least teach you correct movements so you don't hurt yourself. Just don't tell them you want a program to improve your golf game.

What Coach said.

Amen. It makes sense to train in movements that are similar to your sport. But if you strengthen condition all of the muscles involved in the swing, regardless of how, how can it not help when all of those muscles are contributing during the swing?

I took my one of my brothers out to the range one day. First day he ever touched a club. Hit a wedge 130 or so with something between a half and 3/4 length swing. Played one season of baseball when he was 11, and that was the extent of his experience swinging anything; no years of muscle memory involved. But he was strong as a bull, and used to be a bit of a freak athlete. That was the day that the seed of doubt was planted regarding the need for sports specific training. After that, I began to believe that if you train the muscles, they'll contribute when they're needed.

Train the body. Let the swing take care of properly applying the muscles.

Why not get yoked just to get yoked? It makes you feel better about yourself. AFAIK, the way to go is free weights. My buddies tell me it builds strength and flexibility together. Now, that might not be entirely true, but it seems logical.

Erik_K

New
I also loathe 'sport specific' training.

Personally I like free weights with emphasis on Olympic lifting. Focus on the basics: the deadlift, shoulder press, squat, and bench press. Body weight movements such as pullups, situps, leg lifts, pushups help too.

Flexibility is also very important. Weight lifting alone may not help improve that area. There are specific mobility drills to help improve hip mobility, shoulder mobility, ankle mobility and so on. Improving flexibility helps all areas of fitness. You might be surprised at how limited you are, not by your strength, but by tight quad muscles and hamstrings.

There's no 'one size fits all approach' to fitness. Good trainers consider the age, injuries, and realistic outcomes for their clients. Good programming with emphasis on safe and proper technique cannot be overstated.

Without a good program (and accurate notes and records of what you lifted) the progress will not come and frustration will boil to the surface. Don't half ass it. Get a notebook, get a good coach/program, write down your goals and bust your ass to break through to new barriers. A focus on general fitness will help make you look good and feel better as well as being able to tackle a variety of different skills (not just golf). So don't be scared to try new things: sprint sessions, bike rides, weight lifting, swimming, climbing, gymnastics, conditioning drills, and so on. Mix it up - it keeps things interesting.

Also realize that 70% of all fitness related goals are tied to your diet. "You can't out-train a bad diet." There's most certainly a synergy between the food (fuel) and the exercise (spark).

Erik

I also loathe 'sport specific' training.

Personally I like free weights with emphasis on Olympic lifting. Focus on the basics: the deadlift, shoulder press, squat, and bench press. Body weight movements such as pullups, situps, leg lifts, pushups help too.

Flexibility is also very important. Weight lifting alone may not help improve that area. There are specific mobility drills to help improve hip mobility, shoulder mobility, ankle mobility and so on. Improving flexibility helps all areas of fitness. You might be surprised at how limited you are, not by your strength, but by tight quad muscles and hamstrings.

There's no 'one size fits all approach' to fitness. Good trainers consider the age, injuries, and realistic outcomes for their clients. Good programming with emphasis on safe and proper technique cannot be overstated.

Without a good program (and accurate notes and records of what you lifted) the progress will not come and frustration will boil to the surface. Don't half ass it. Get a notebook, get a good coach/program, write down your goals and bust your ass to break through to new barriers. A focus on general fitness will help make you look good and feel better as well as being able to tackle a variety of different skills (not just golf). So don't be scared to try new things: sprint sessions, bike rides, weight lifting, swimming, climbing, gymnastics, conditioning drills, and so on. Mix it up - it keeps things interesting.

Also realize that 70% of all fitness related goals are tied to your diet. "You can't out-train a bad diet." There's most certainly a synergy between the food (fuel) and the exercise (spark).

Erik

Dead on Erik. I don't like the bench press as a functional movement to train but lots of people do.

I've just recently gotten into Olympic lifting and love it. I wish I had discovered it before I turned 40!

Somax, gives you the feel of turning, no slide with the somax.

P90x 2 is pretty sweet total body and core workout. Lean muscle, not bulky.

I did three full rounds of the original P90X. It was okay but I didn't really get stronger. I also tweaked a knee doing the plyo workout. First time I ever had anything close to a knee injury.

I've lifted a lot of free weights in my life and never got bulky. Getting bulky or not getting bulky really boils down to what kind of training you do and your body type.

Erik_K

New
Dead on Erik. I don't like the bench press as a functional movement to train but lots of people do.

I've just recently gotten into Olympic lifting and love it. I wish I had discovered it before I turned 40!

You can easily sub in any of: ring dips, pushups, regular dips (weighted/unweighted). The bench is actually a surprisingly technical lift and max efforts may require special equipment or a spotter. It's difficult to bail out on a bench press.

I believe the press is indeed a functional move. Tell a linebacker or defensive end to shed a blocker without pushing away (!). But for a few practical reasons, it's not so easy to train the press properly and alternative movements are perfectly fine.

The weighted dip, assuming no shoulder injuries, is a supremely beneficial movement - the shoulders, chest, back, and core are engaged. It's more or less a "go-to" move to increase your bench power for sure.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.