pivot controlled swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlam

New
For the pivot controlled takeaway swing such as LCT....is it fundamentally pivot controlled hands all the way to followthru.....or can one do pivot controlled hands at takeaway then hands controlled the swing after the backswing is completed?

Are both methods equally effective?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
For the pivot controlled takeaway swing such as LCT....is it fundamentally pivot controlled hands all the way to followthru.....or can one do pivot controlled hands at takeaway then hands controlled the swing after the backswing is completed?

Are both methods equally effective?

There is literally no such thing as a "Pivot Controlled" golf swing.

You'd whiff it, top it, and quit on day 2.

dlam

New
I am really confused... What makes this site unique is the advocation of the pivot based trigger to start the swing. The "other" sites seems to emphasize hands control.

Reading archives on the debate regarding hands control pivot versus pivot controlled hand made me ask this question.
I trying to convince myself that pivot controlled swing is better alternative but am confused at what stage of the swing does the hands become controlled by the pivot.

In the LCT seems the hands are controlled much latter in the swing process ? Top of the swing or end of the backswing

"Pivot control" and "hand control" is about what moves first, or what's the trigger. It's about where your mind is, what you're focusing on. Since you're holding and swinging the club in you're hands, you still need to monitor the club with those hands, whether you start the club back with your hands or your pivot. So in that regard, you really can't have an effective pivot controlled swing. If you did, you'd essentially have no idea what the club was doing.

I think people tend to confuse "hand controlled pivot/pivot controlled hands" with active vs passive pivot: allowing the pivot to be completely responsive to the action of the hands/club, vs. actively using the pivot to assist the hands in making a dynamic swing.

S

SteveT

Bigwill ... I think it's a case of k.i.s.s. for the mind to focus on one body part only. Most rec golfers mind's are in a state of semi-panic by the time they reach reversal going into the downswing ... and then it becomes a lashing out and hoping for the best.

dbl

New
I never took all the above terms in the OP to refer to the statup of the swing; always thought it was about the downswing.

And anyway, at one time there was mention of this combination: Pivot powered Hands Controlled Pivot.

My opinion now is it's just tgm mumbo jumbo regarding some "machine" apparatus/parts that were for some swing aspects that were too hard to describe. And...that if you throw in poorly defined mystical words, then the faithful will have some holy grails to seek after.

S

SteveT

My opinion now is it's just tgm mumbo jumbo regarding some "machine" apparatus/parts that were for some swing aspects that were too hard to describe. And...that if you throw in poorly defined mystical words, then the faithful will have some holy grails to seek after.

Hey, dbl ... watch out or else you may get a flying wedge up yer keester from all that accumulated power stored in the educated left arm ... and hold the lag at PP#3 if you want a max line of compression ....:mad:

dlam

New
I never took all the above terms in the OP to refer to the statup of the swing; always thought it was about the downswing.

And anyway, at one time there was mention of this combination: Pivot powered Hands Controlled Pivot.

Good post, let's have more fun with this.
How about pivot powered,hand controlled swing?

dbl

New
You'd have to get Brian to comment, as he knows the nuances inside and out and why he says at least the pivot controlled swing is bunk.

My own journey includes developing a decent pivot and developing motions which get the impact conditions correct. In my downswing I know have some specific arm actions which are happening at the same time, blended with, the pivot action. In the best of my swings, the swing is controlled by my intention and the downswing is like a reaction to the backswing and setup.

Good post, let's have more fun with this.
How about pivot powered,hand controlled swing?
Homer was insightful here. Proprioception for us primates has a lot to do with our hands. Co-ordination skills like juggling and skateboarding will fine-tune your vestibular-ocular system...and make it seem like your body will simply deliver your hands to where you think they belong.
Try some putting with your eyes closed to "see" what I mean.

S

SteveT

If hand 'feel' has so much of the somatosensory cortex, why do golfers cancel out their hands by using the shoulders or torso for 'whole body' putting. There seems to be so much effort to keep the hands out of the putt. Why?

Alternatively, using a wrist pivot putting style brings the hands into the putting stroke and surely provides more 'feel' for better 'touch'..!!!

SteveT, taking hands out of the stroke does not mean taking the feel touch out of
your grip on the putter. Finger tip pads should touching the grip even with a lifeline
putter grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.