pivot, did she do it wrong or right

Status
Not open for further replies.
up until the last week or so I thought the lady in the pictures of TGM had a very awkward pivot that looked like a reverse pivot. But Homer was very big on detail, as evidenced by the book. Anyways, looking into more things I was introduced to the term compound pivot. Is that what she is doing in the pictures, is she doing a compound pivot? were the pictures exactly what he wanted them to look like? In the search for the perfect swing, which I know some people here like ;) figure 13.3 shows this exact action, same exact action as mike austin suggested, and seems like the same exact action Kelly had her doing. IN the search for the perfect swing they went as far as to say, "if there is a secret of long driving, this is it."

That pivot is often described but not specified AS a compound pivot or clarified as to why it IS "the secret of long driving."

Hogan did it: though he SAID his first motion was the hip turn, in fact his first motion was a hip SLIDE and THEN a hip turn.

There is hardly a great swing anywhere that does not use a hip slide followed by a turn: in some it is more subtle; in others like Montgomerie and Stewart it is more obvious. But it IS in almost all great swings.

Starting with Tiger at age 4, and any baseball pitcher, most batters, and virtually all powerful golf swings. Watch the LD swingers some time.

NOT to understand how it works might permit you to use it but not get its benefit to the degree you could. By knowing how it causes the shoulders to swing DOWN PLANE you can maximize its benefits.

I think that Homer would claim his "2-R" defence and say that each photo is illustrative of a single point and should not be taken out of context....

bit of a general disclaimer but i see his point.

I think that the photo could be seen to illustrate "hula hula "hip motion / "staying behind the ball" and the lateral hip motion ( in extremis) that SFTPS describes.

The key passage for my swing in that section is:-

Page 84

“ Lateral hip movement

Fig 13:3 illustrates… an early tilting thrust of the hips towards the hole ( without, let it be stressed, any lateral movement of the hub) will set the whole massive upper part of the system rotating as one unit about a horizontal axis through the pivot. Incidentally, you can see from fig 13:3 that this will cause the head to move back and down during the downswing – as most good player’s heads do.

… the movement of the hips is therefore neither a simple rotation, nor a simple lateral movement, but a combination of both. It is a very powerful movement indeed…If there is a secret of longdriving, this is it.”

IE. AXIS TILT look at Dai Rees photo on page 59 ( fig 8:8) tiny but fierce welsh man - like Ian Woosnam but harder! Awesome impact alignments FLW axis tilt...

Interestingly the "hub" mentioned above is defined as "The centre-hub of the whole swinging movement will be somewhere in the middle of his neck or chest. Although his neck and chest move, this point will remain fixed in space; and some point on his hands – probably mear his left wrist – will be swung in a roughly circular arc around it” on page 16 of SFTPS.

SImilar to brian's top of the neck as the stationary point within the pivot motion.

bulldog,
my main point of emphasis, though I did not state it very well, was the top of the back swing position in relation to the three styles I mentioned. as you stated the hub is somewhere around the neck. Now, in the back swings of those three, the very base of the spine, tail bone, moves more towards the rear foot, ans since the hub stays the same, the top of the spine will have to move forward a little. This would give a pendulum effect on the back swing and then downswing. the downswing positions of the three references look pretty normal/standard. in that pic of figure 13.3, the illustration of the backswing has a spine that tilts to the right, same as in the TGM book, and same as austin encourages. .

i see what you mean...

bulldog,
my main point of emphasis, though I did not state it very well, was the top of the back swing position in relation to the three styles I mentioned. as you stated the hub is somewhere around the neck. Now, in the back swings of those three, the very base of the spine, tail bone, moves more towards the rear foot, ans since the hub stays the same, the top of the spine will have to move forward a little. This would give a pendulum effect on the back swing and then downswing. the downswing positions of the three references look pretty normal/standard. in that pic of figure 13.3, the illustration of the backswing has a spine that tilts to the right, same as in the TGM book, and same as austin encourages. .

I see what you mean... a "backswing axis tilt" if you like... or is this Hogans "sag"?

Backswing:
hips = go right
spine = tilts left
head = goes left

Downswing:
hips = go left
spine = tilts right ( classical axis tilt)
head = goes right ( head stays hehind the ball)

is this what you mean?

I seem to remember an old thread about Sam Sneed leaning left(target wards) on backswing... some photos...massive debate... some people banned!

I will leave this one to the experts!:)

Fascinating but dangerous...

This is the compound pivot of Austin and when done without excess or in the wrong way, is the "most powerful move" available to a golfer (as in SPTPS, as well as in Austin's camp).

It is not precarious at all: very comfortable and natural. It takes a very small AMOUNT of hip movement to apply a LOT of force to the arms.

I see what you mean... a "backswing axis tilt" if you like... or is this Hogans "sag"?

Backswing:
hips = go right
spine = tilts left
head = goes left

Downswing:
hips = go left
spine = tilts right ( classical axis tilt)
head = goes right ( head stays hehind the ball)

is this what you mean?

I seem to remember an old thread about Sam Sneed leaning left(target wards) on backswing... some photos...massive debate... some people banned!

I will leave this one to the experts!:)

Fascinating but dangerous...

well i am trying to ask th experts but none are responding. Can you see how it creates a true pendulum effect? And since it creates a true pendulum effect I can see how if done correctly it would be more powerful

And again PI, I am referenicing it in 3 places so it is not limited to just austin

Status
Not open for further replies.