Plane isn't path

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my post about head movement and tempo, I mentioned that I was on a golf simulator/analyser when I had my lesson with Brian. I already knew this, and I'm sure most of you do as well, but it is a point that I don't think about much, but shoul: In the golf swing, most people use path and plane interchangeably...I know I am guilty of it. Plane and path are not the same thing. If you swing on a SQUARE PLANE, your PATH will be 2-3* inside out. The clubhead is traveling on a square plane line, but the path is down, out, and forward. The farther back in your stance, the more inside out your path will be at impact and the more forward the ball is, the less inside out your path will be at impact. However, until you reach low point, your path will always be inside out even though you are swinging on a square plane and tracing a square plane line. This is an important distinction that needs to be recognized by all. An inside to out swing is not the same as an inside to out impact. The former is a bent plane, while the latter is a geometrically correct impact interval.

Square plane + 2-3* inside to out impact + 1-3* open clubface = KNOCKING DOWN THE STICK ALL DAY LONG.

Educate the right forearm to trace a straight line, educate the pressure points to drive down, out, and forward, and educate the left hand to control the clubface and you will be on target. You will have lag, a straight plane line, and a flat left wrist. Clubshaft control + clubhead control + clubface control = ball control.

Erik_K

New
I see the difference between path and plane, but I don't see (perhaps a diagram would help) how I can trace a straight path with my arm yet have the clubhead travel in an inside-to-out path. Or, maybe it IS possible to have the forearms travel in more or less a straight line (downplane, whatever) and yet the clubhead is moving in a curved path toward the ball. I don't look at my forearms when I swing the club. I watch the ball and if I swing the club slowly enough (or perhaps through some tall grass) I can see how the club head is traveling toward the ball.

I like to feel like I am swinging out to right field a little bit (they may not happen if I am coming over the top, but it's a feeling I like try and be cognizant of nonetheless).

untitled3jc1.jpg

very crude diagram. red line is the swing plane, black is the square plane line and the blue lines show the path of the clubhead. as the club works down the red line and onplane with the square plane line, its path is from the inside. this is how I understand it, ive been known to be wrong.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Perfect Numbers on the Golftek....

2 degrees inside out, 1 degree open.

PS...one of our members is James Leitz, one of America's finest club builders and fitters, a AI and a PGA member. James, if you see this post, can you comment on the Golftek numbers for us?

ErikK,
If we were just tracing a straight plane line from a vertical setup and doing nothing else, the clubhead would cover the planeline. It would literally be over top of it. However, in golf since we stand to the side, everything is on a plane which not only goes back, but goes in and up as well. The right forarm points at a straight line, but it moves in an arc...it 'fans'. The right forarm is moving back, in, and up as well. Get a flashlight and point to a line on the ground. Move your arm in a golf-like motion, but keep pointing at the line. You will move the arm in an arc, but point at a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.